The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone remembers me. But I posted a few months ago about setting up a new tank. Initial plans were a FOLR. I'm still thinking its going that way.. but there may be some corals involved down the road. The current set up is a 46 gallon bow front. With a Remora hang on skimmer. (recommended last time). It currently only has a single tube Flourescent that came with it. I plan on putting PC's on it. Suggestions welcome for that. I mentioned possible corals. What I"m looking at is the following possibilities.

Polyp colonies, assorted mushrooms, frogspawn, bubble and maybe a brain. Other possibilities would be a hammer or anchor.

The fish I would like to keep are the following. Any suggestions to substitues are welcome. And order of introduction would be helpful.

1. Coral Beuaty (yeah i know might have to scratch that one if i get corals)

2. Royal gramma or Bi-color (suggestions on which one)

3. Blenny or Goby of some sort (again suggestions welcome)

4. Tank raised percula clown 1 or 2

That is about it. The tank has about 30 - 40 lbs of base rock in it. I picked up some live rock rubble from a LFS to try and seed the rock a little bit. Also any suggestions on clean up crews and the such. I do plan on having a cleaner shrimp also.

Thanks, And here are some pics.

Edit: The Aquaclear filter is being taken out. Just had it on to clear up the water from initial setup.

·
Registered
395 Posts
BirdFish said:
It currently only has a single tube Flourescent that came with it. I plan on putting PC's on it. Suggestions welcome for that.
While ya got fish only that light is all ya will need but as ya step up to those corals ya will need to go with at least PC. You would be shocked at what PC will grow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So nobody sees any compatibility problems with the selected fish? Also in what order should I introduce them? The tank is currently going through its cycle. So it will be a little while before I add.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
BirdFish said:
2. Royal gramma or Bi-color (suggestions on which one)
Are you thinking of a Royal Gramma or a Bi-color Blennie?

I Like my Bi Color Blennie , You fish list looks great you have done your home work :)

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
I love my bi-color blenny! Cute with lots of personality. Your rockwork is beautiful, you did a great job! Scarlet reef hermit crabs are peaceful and safe. I'd be cautious with the angel, maybe do a search of the forums, you'll get lots of info on the fish you're looking at. Keep it up!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
your tank looks great! I have a coral beuaty doesnt bother the corals at all. However I also have a churb and a bicolor goby and they pick at the polops all day.
good luck with your tank

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Cool plan. The only thing I would say id add the angel last, even after the coral so that everyone is already settle in the tank and the angel is the new guy there. IMO it makes a diference if you introduce the coral after the angel it may go investigate what the new "thing" taste like.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Your tank looks like an exact replica of mine...filtration and all. I was just wondering...what is wrong with having the AquaClear on back???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was debating between a Royal Gramma and a Bicolor Pseudochromis (sp). Leaning towards the Royal though.

Thanks for all the props on the tank. The fish list is pretty much what I had in the past. Been out of tanks for about 5 years. So kind of re-starting. Just checking to see if much has changed.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Another question this brings to mind is that BirdFish doesn't have a sponge on his mag3...is this preferable or should you use the sponge?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
DrFish33 said:
Your tank looks like an exact replica of mine...filtration and all. I was just wondering...what is wrong with having the AquaClear on back???
the aquaclear just like anyother HOB filter or power filter do not take the nutrients, uneaten food out of the water colum just as a skimmer does, when this stuff trap on the filter starts to decompose it will affect your water quality. power filters are use on reef tanks just for polishing the water, or you will have to clean them out often, like everyday depending on bioload and how much food you feed. A PITA if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
DrFish33 said:
Another question this brings to mind is that BirdFish doesn't have a sponge on his mag3...is this preferable or should you use the sponge?
a sponge will basically do the same thing as the power filter. But all powerheads need to have a strainer to keep fish and animals out of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When should I think about putting in a clean up crew? After the cycle is complete or during the cycle? There are currently 2 scarlet hermits in the tank that came with some of the rubble. Overall the tank does not have much life in it yet.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I say wait until you start seeing algie in the tank, you do not want the clean up crew to starve.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
for lights i would say these...
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01023

they are cheap and work great, i have this fixture on the same tank as you, it will keep all the corals you mentioned too.

fish, i would do the royal over the psuedo, ive heard the psuedos can be a little more aggresive.

goby/blennie's? do one of both! bi color blennies are great, as everyone has said, and so are watchman gobys and such. look around for some.

percs, 2 should be fine if thats what you want.

and for the angel, its a toss up, i have a cherub that has nipped corals in some one elses tank, then they sold him to me, and hes fine, so who knows, all i can say is if you want one, get one

1 - 20 of 23 Posts