The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have just finished cycling my 29 gallon tank. I have 1 black clown, 1 six line wrasse, 1 yellow tailed Damsel and 2 blue legged hermit crabs. I would like to buy some hardy low light corals does any one have any sugestions?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My lights are daylight t8s and my water temp is 77 degrees. But i do plan on getting better lights soon.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ricordea are my favorite, 'cause they seem more flourescent than our mushrooms, but you might want to wait a little before getting them (they're a bit less hardy than other mushroom-type corals, and they're more expensive, usually).
And don't settle for the drab ones! :) The colorful ones are worth waiting/bargaining for.

·
Registered
214 Posts
my first coral was a cabbage leather. my lighting started out as 2 t5ho bulbs. 1x54w 10k daylight and 1x54w acintic. he grew great and is always open and huge. i now have 2 of these fixtures and am keeping pulsing xenia and a long tentacle anemone as well. never have any problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, how long do you recamend waiting before adding new things. Like about seven or eight days ago i added 2 new fish do think it is ok to add a frag today or tomaro?

·
Registered
372 Posts
thanks, how long do you recamend waiting before adding new things. Like about seven or eight days ago i added 2 new fish do think it is ok to add a frag today or tomaro?
in that size tank I wouldn't add more than 1 fish at a time, and wait at least 2 weeks (and ideally 1-2 months) between adding them. Corals are a little different than fish, especially primarily photosynthetic corals like many polyps and mushrooms. They consume far less in general, and oftentimes will consume the waste of the fish, meaning you aren't adding any additional nutrients to keep them alive.

there are corals which require very small amounts of light, but they are typically much harder to keep, and most are recommended for experienced reefers only (least this is what I hear, I can tell you from experience these corals are uncommon).

star polyps and shrooms are about the most hearty things I've kept, they do need light, but less than most anything else. Most are primarily photosynthetic so you don't have to worry much about feeding or increasing the bio-load significantly, any nitrogen they need they can absorb from fish waste and uneaten food (what we call disolved organic material, or DOM).

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
That's not much light...that's probably your next step...some Discosoma Sp. mushrooms would probably do OK and are very hardy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i think i know who this s and where you live.. lol WHATS UP EVAN!!!!!!!!WHAT A FREAKIN COINCEDENCE YOU SNEAKY DOSH.. THIS IS BRANDON LOCK.. AND UR AN IDIOT FOR NOT RIDING WITH ME AND LUKE.. ADD ME AS A FREIND.:lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts