The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, New Tank 75 (see thread "New Tank Stand" for pics) I started on Sunday April 30th with the official fire up of the tank. I started with live sand and with-in 48 hours I was placing live rock and fish into the tank. It has only been 12 days and the ammonia level has dropped to near nothing. Here is the stats for the tank Is this possible to be this fast or could something alse be going on. I usually test between 8:30pm to 10:30pm I keep running stats on just about everything. Won;t let me paste the spread sheet. but here is clip. Also the live rock is full of anemoe (purple and milk colors) along with flowing tube more like cladocora cespitoa but dark brown/purple with yellow center, fans and red and green grass looking stuff. All seem to be really healthy along with 4 blue damsels, 2 yellow tail damsels and 4 chromis (1 died 4 days after arriving, Still cannot find him, very small less then 20mm and could be anywhere. Could explain the protein was a little higher for the few days after.

Date Ammonia Trite
30 0.0 0
2 0.0 0
3 1.5 .75
4 1.5 .75
5 1.5 .75
6 1.5 .25
7 1.5 .25
8 1.5 .50
9 2.0 .25
10 1.5 .50
11 0.5 .50

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
YOu probably want to think about returning the fish and letting the cycle finish before you add anyting else. The odds are good that you will lose more of those fish maybe all. Damsels are notoriously hardy so they might survive. Despite there possible survival the ammonia will burn their gills. If nothing else your tank will look much better in the long run if you slow down.

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
I would have to agree on returning the fish for their safety. You are going to have ups and downs with the tank as it cycles. You should not be using your light as you are cycling. I would recommend at lest letting the tank sit for a couple of weeks without any fish in it. Then I would start adding things a little at a time, starting with your clean up crew.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Chromis die in an established tank as well. You be the judge r6413utah. Honestly how do they look, was you live rock cured well, or was it picked fresh? You should definately not add more though, not to rain on your parade. More than likely you will have a better chance @ having issues with nucence algae and cyano do to the jump start on the biological part of things. IMO Good luck and have fun. Really do not be in a hurry, if you feed the addiction too fast you will have a 500 gallon tank before you know it.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
If you did not recover that missing fish a water change could not hurt along with a few crabs if the cleanup crew has not yet been established.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LR and live sand

In the beginning I put 25lb in live sand and about 30lb in live rock. the fish are tiny but seem to be very healthy (Hungry all the time) I am doing 4 each 3 minute feeding a day. I preload 2 10ml hypos and squeeze out 5ml each feeding of a mix of silverside, brine, mylsis shrimp, and a frozed mixed protein cube. As far as light I am using 2 48" power pros at 12 hrs per day with 1 24 inch marine blue and 1 24 inch actanic. Light sched is as follows

6:00 am actanic on and completely uncovered
7:30 am marine blue is on
9:30 am full lighting
7:00 pm Full lighting off
8:30 pm marine blue is off
11:00 pm a sheet of aluminum foil is over the glass only letting the actanic shine down on the first 2 inches of the front of the tank. tha back is dark and even darker if they hide in teh rocks.

I am dicovering new creatues each day on the LR. so far there is about 15 critters that measure anywhere from 5mm to 20mm in size that are invert's. and aneno's (my spelling is not the greatest)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I hope that anemone you are talking about is not aiptasia. Can you post a picture of it?
Since one of your fis die you will more likely see another ammonia spike soon if the body is not removed. It will be a good idea to return the fish to the store for now; they are hardy but they will not be happy while the tank cycles.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why so low

I think I know why so low, The shop where I bought the wet/dry (someone customed order then deal went bad , I picked it up for cost) from has the following, Settling tank then into a protien skimmer (using a 600 powerhead) then back up a shelf to a rolling shelf that poors onto a 10 X 10 X 5 stage pad from 2mm to 100 micron, then over a 10 X 10 X 10 bioball container then to a second areation level, then through a 3 inch think foam sponge then it is pumped back up by a 500per gal pump. above the pump is where I store a 5 gallon container with a trickle valve. I keep ether fresh or premix salt treated water (key word treated).

Well, I have been trying to level out the gravity (it was high when the tank is full, no room for evaporation) AS I HAVE BEEN ADDING FRESH WATER I HAVE BEEN TREATING IT NOT WITH DE-CHLORINATOR BUT A CYCLE STABLIZER!!!! been grbbing the wrong bottle duh!! and I wonder why the levels are so low now. However, I now have green and pinkish/purple algie growing. With yellow and green polops (think that is how you spell it) the purple creature is what I think is purple sponge rock (per the shop keep).

Thanks all for the feedback, think I am goin to take the damsel next door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts