The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a Yellow Tang from Saltwater.com, acclimated for a few hours, then dropped him in......Instantly my Powder blue Tang started attacking it. the yellow is alot bigger than the powder blue.

Question...What can i do.??...ive read that people have the same problems, sometimes they go away, sometimes they dont. any advice would be great........Installed another veggie clip, but looks like the last thing on there mind is eating right now!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Whenever my yellow tang gave a new addition a problem, I would place a mirror right up against the glass. He would see his own reflection and be way more concerned with why there was now another yellow tang in the picture. Kept him occupied for as long as it was the mirror was there.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whenever my yellow tang gave a new addition a problem, I would place a mirror right up against the glass. He would see his own reflection and be way more concerned with why there was now another yellow tang in the picture. Kept him occupied for as long as it was the mirror was there.
The problem is the Yellow dosent seem to be to bothered, just checking out the New place. The powder blue doesnt like him AT ALL....he seem real upset theres someone new in HIS house!

·
Administrator
47,618 Posts
They are territorial, the PB resents another tang in their turf, it may or may not get better

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,674 Posts
Turn lights off and move things around while you have them in your QT tank and then bring them back the same time and have plenty of hiding places.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I put a larger powder blue in to my tank that had a yellow tang. they bickered back and forth for about 2 days then left each other alone completely.

Just give them time to sort out their territories.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Turn lights off and move things around while you have them in your QT tank and then bring them back the same time and have plenty of hiding places.
This is what i would do. If you dont have a QT then i would just bag them for 15 min. But they could get a little stressed.

·
Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
if either of them are getting visibly beat up i'd do something about it right away, otherwise give them a couple of days to get to know each other, fish are capable of having a little dust-up and not being any worse for wear. it's sad to see them fight, just like little kids or puppies, but they're usually harmless if they are similar in size...

i like this idea also, it pretty much always worked for me in my freshwater tank that i've had for 5+ years. if you re-arrange it's "territory" and allow ample hiding places for both the PB may not feel like it's his house anymore. you can always go this route if you can't stand the bickering or if they are being hurt by the introduction to each other

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cut my lights off a few hours earlier than normal last night...Now the yellow tang follows around the Powder blue like there was never a issue....but that was this morning under moon lights.....added another veggie clip with some seaweed hoping the play nice today!

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
My crazy kole tang was picking on my foxface and sailfin when I put then in. The foxface would flare up and then he left him alone and would occasionally just tail bump him. They eventually all started to get along in a few days. Well he tried again to pick on the foxface yesterday and he got stabbed near his mouth by the spines and died within a few minutes. I don't really know where I am trying to go with this. The lights off method is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update !

Yellow and powder are fighting very little....not the best of friends but doing OK...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive herd from several people that odd numbers of tangs are a good idea. What other Tangs would fit with my P.B and Yellow Tangs.?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Ive herd from several people that odd numbers of tangs are a good idea. What other Tangs would fit with my P.B and Yellow Tangs.?
That's a tough one . I would stick with what you have for a while . That PB is a special fish and great care should be taken for him :read:

·
Registered
161 Posts
i had an issue almost just like this with my yellow tang. my yellow tang had been in my aquarium for a month and i decided to buy a coral beauty angelfish, I acclimated the coral beauty and let him in the tank and as soon as he saw the coral beauty he went instantly very territorial and very aggressive he would threaten the angel with his spine and when he came near his territory he would chase him away. what i did in this sittuation was i first covered the tank with towels turned off the lights in the aquarium and i let it stand for 3 hours. when that was done the 2 of them were still fighting not as roughly but still fighting then i decided the rearanging the tank trick i remodeled the tank that didnt help but i gave the coral beauty a place to stay. finally i tried the mirror trick i just propped a mirror against the glass and it worked like a charm the yellow tang was so distracted with its reflection it let the coral beauty settle in and now they dont bother eachother except the tang is still a little territorial but nearly as bad as it was. well i hoped this helped bye.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
it's always recommended that if you are going to get more than one tang get them all at once. so taking them out together and putting them back in together might help. sounds like they are starting to get along tho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts