The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone I have a55 gallon reef tank and i will be building a sump within the next couple of days and i wanted to know what are some tricks to saving some money while building this because i plan on buying a reef octopus skimmer also if yall can give me the pros and cons of this machine and what model should i Get... i already have a heater and i have a marine land canister filter but i heard those aren't to good so what are my other options... i heard i might not even need a filter is that true?... what else do i need in my sump i don't plan on having a refugum because i want to make this a simple but efficient sump and because i'm a beginner and don't want to get confused by all the complexities...
it will be a ten or twenty gallon tank still not sure because of space...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just built my second sump. The second one had to be built to house my new reef octopus in sump skimmer. I bought a 20gal long tank from petco. Unfortunately I did not get it during their $1 per gallon sale, so spent full price but if that's an option it can save you some $? Or you can usually find a used one on Craigslist. Next you will need 2 or 3 pieces of glass cut to fit the height and depth of the tank. I have a simple design for my sump. It's 2 chambers. First chamber is the largest and is approximately 16" in length. The cut pieces of glass I used I got from lowes and had them cut them to what I needed. Since my skimmer needed 6" of water to operate at peak efficiency this is the height of the glass. I the other 2 glass pieces are to create a bubble trap into the 2nd or last chamber which is only 4". This chamber houses my return pump. To "glue" the glass pieces into place I used 100% silicone which u can buy from hardware store just make sure it's not the anti mildew ones. Then let it cure for a few days. You can find a lot of DIY sump builds for designs and ideas. As far as the canister, it's not needed and preferred you use a pump in the retun section of your sump for the circulation with power heads in the tank. The "filtration" comes from your live rock. A canister filter will cause more maintenance and headaches in the long run. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much this helped a whole lot... what kind of pump do you suggest? my Skimmer finally failed on me so i have to get a new one today and i will start building my sump today... i actually have a new skimmer but its only the tube part it doesn't have a pump with it... i think i got it last year brand new but somehow i lost all the parts except for the skimmer part (no tubes or pump) and its brand new do you think i can buy the pump and hose for it or Is it not worth it i should just get a brand new skimmer???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts