The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here are few sketchs of my sump. what do you think ?

The drain chamber is going to be moved into the middle section which will be the skimmer section

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
looks good. I would possibly split the drain between the refugium on the right and the skimmer section in the middle. This way you process all of the water through the skimmer, but you can have lower flow through the refugium. Many macro algaes do grow better with higher flow, however you want a good dwell time to allow the algae to take up any nutrients(That is if you believe that growing macro algae is beneficial). If you do need more flow in the refugium, it may be better to use a small powerhead to get higher flow but maintain long contact time.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what i plan on doing is moving the drain chamber into the skimmer chamber. and drilling a hole in the refugium section for a 1" bulkhead. and "T"ing off my drain line with a ball valve on the drain line going into the refugium section. sound good?

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from left to right in the photo.

left chamber - return section
middle chamber - skimmer section
right chamber - refugium :cry: :agree:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
ok, so let me get this straight, you want to remove all of the goodies coming from the refugium by the skimmer before it is returned to the tank, correct? then why have a fuge? :D

the further you put the skimmer from the return section the better.

G~

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Geoff is right. If the refugium section is before the skimmer you will skim out any goodness. Here is my sump I built. I did not use my first bubble tower since I had two 1 1/2" lines going there and I didn't really have the room. You get the point though.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i see Tashers and Geoffs points. And i do understand your points of the skimmer being after the refugium section. So I am thinking up some ideas, and i will make more sketches later on today and post them.

·
Dazed & confused
328 Posts
going to sound like the stupid newbie I am, what is a sump? :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
off the wall, what did you use to draw the photo?

Thanks
Terry

·
Registered
959 Posts
who cares about fuge goodness, I only want it to reduce nitrate and phosphate, and have the skimmer catch whats left.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
A sump is a water resevior below your main tank that is used for extra water volume, and equipment. Here is a view of mine from the end. Its the same sump I have pictured above.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The second plan looks good. Are you making making the sump yourself? If so go to sear and get a kit that goes to a router for dovetailing. They have a nice template with the guide that you can make teeth with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts