The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, how do you explain this one? I added an Aqualclear 75 wet/dry to my setup last night. I added RO saltwater premixed to allow for the extra water capacity. Everything is running fine now except I have had 2 damsels die in the past 12 hours! What could cause this? Water is still at 1.023 sp, no other changes in parameters. I don't get it. The skimmer seems to be working double duty too.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is maybe there were some contaminants in the the wet/dry. Did you clean it before using it? Also how old is the tank and what are your parameters?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned it a little, but didn't scrub it down good. It was a new wet/dry, shrink wrapped from the manufacturer so I assume (we know what assuming means :)) it was clean. I guess that may be the only real explanation though. Hopefully, whatever it is, it will work its way out of the tank before it kills everything!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
hmm, that's the same model wet dry i have. i took it straight from the shrinkwrap, and hooked it up. with no problems. it COULD have been contaminates in it, but is unlikely, though certainly possible.

what type of water did you use to make the new sw? ro/di or straight tap water.

when i read the post my initial thought was chlorine/chloramine posioning. but you may have used ro water, whcih would rule that out.

did you test all your other parameters? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate etc.. what about the ph of the added water.

but it may be easy to rule out the water. the model 75, holds only about 5 gallons at most, what percentage is that compared to your tank? i would think it's prrobabl minimal.

whatever it was, hopefully you'll be able tofigure it out before any other fish die. it seems odd too, because damsels are so hardy. i've seen poeple dump damsels into a 1 hor old tank, fileld with straight tap water and no conditioning or anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really know what it could be. I would hope not contamination. I used RO water I bought from the store so I don't think it could be chorine poisoning. I had 4 damsels in there. They usually kept in groups of 2. One died then shortly after the one that was always with the one that died kicked the bucket as well. Kind of weird to me. My snails, starfish, etc seemed fine. Who knows what happened. The yellow tang and 2 damsels are left. Hopefully I will see if they are a live when I go home for lunch and see if they eat. Originally, I had cycled the tank with 6 damsels. 2 died in a week, but the remaining 4 lived until now. The tank has been up for about 6 months.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What kind of hose or pipe did you use to plumb it up. I had this exact thing happen when I hooked my sump up. I used new black rubber hose. I had soaked and rinsed it in R\O water before install. I think there was a reaction between the hose and the S/W when I started pump.My params were all good. If there are toxins in the tank a partial water change won't hurt anything. I did 2-3 and still had some things die. Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used the plumbing hardware that came with it. I would assume that there would be no problems there. If so, then the manufacturer is a complete idiot. But, thefatman has the same sump and he didn't have this happen.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It is always a good idea to clean hoses and equipment before installing, but I'm pretty sure 100% that saltwater don't have reaction to plastic (especially PVC). It's only to metal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For all I know, it could have just been that fish's time to go and the other died because his mate died. Haha - I wish it was that. Some parameter got wacked in the water somehow. Now, I just have to fix it before I have a total loss.

·
Registered
706 Posts
how are your other fish acting? What was the temp of the water when you added the sump? Again along with Jay's question what is the total volume of your sump/tank. I suppose the temperature could have gotten those two and not the others?

Dunno stumped.
Dave

·
Registered
334 Posts
Did you rinse the plumbing and everything else that touched the water? Heck, If I lost two damsels I'd be happy lol, no sorry but it does appear that whatever you added had to cause this or maybe it was a quincadnese!--<spelling

·
Registered
80 Posts
could be poison or something. I once watched a sales peon killing ants at our large (which I never goto) pet store by spraying raid all over the tanks and protien skimmer. Stupidity is a wonderfull thing. DOH!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
dotel.. that guy is a genious :funny:

kbolick idont "think" it owuld have had anything to do with the sump. like i said mine is the same, and has the same hoses etc... and my tank is also a 55g. i had no probs. everything was shrinkwrapped, i think aquaclear is a pretty good company.

hopefully you'll be able to chalk this one up as simple coincidance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
kbolick,

I personally would never trust R.O. water that I bought from a store. You never know how diligent the store is about changing out the the various membranes\filters when exhausted. Sometime I'm going to bring my TDS meter to a local fish store just to see what quality of water the consumer is actually getting.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, turns out to be a disaster. I lost all the fish and the corals are going as well. I did a 10-15% water change. Maybe this will help. I am running some carbon on the tank now too. Hopefully this will flush out any toxins or atleast help.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Did you remove a filter to replace it with another?? Are you running tests and if so what are the readings? I would do a large water change and run carbon asap.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.