The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Well that's a good start! I always use my biscuit joiner when building a stand or hood. They make very good joints especially when joining 2 pieces of plywood together. Have fun!

·
Registered
119 Posts
well keep those pictures coming and we will be able to build our own at the end of your class........ But sure does look good... alot better than the one my dad built me.... (not so sure he knows what a square is...

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
looking great! can't wait to get it over here with the tank sitting on top of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks great, nicely done! I like the fact that the bottom inside creates a trough, if it was sealed well, that could catch water if there is ever an accident.

What type of flooring will this stand be on? I'm curious why you chose to have the stand/tank weight supported on 6 legs instead of spreading the weight out by keeping the bottom 2X4's flush on the bottom?

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I lowered it for that purpose and the sides are caulked. The stand will be sitting on concrete, so the loading is ok. I like the look of it from the side view, doesn't look "clunkly" almost like furniture.

I have made a stand out of 3/4" oak using the same building technique. If I can get over to my "buddies" house and take a picture of it, i'll post it. Looked awsome.:rolleyes:

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
counting the hours until that bad boy is in my house with the new tank sitting on top of it. you are doing a great job charles, i am glad i didnt try to make it myself with my jigsaw and dremel in my kitchen like i was planning to do originally!

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ryan

You are a Chief not a "wood butcher" heh heh. I'd like to have seen you working in the kitchen - on the stand, with sawdust all over the place.:rolleyes:

Just waiting for the tank, then I'll start on the hood. Just want to make sure of the dimensions.

later :beer:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts