The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well still fine tuning my new setup, but having some troubles working out a few areas of concern.

First off, I have a insane amount of micro bubbles in my sump. Were talking super tiny. Baffles would not stop them as their easily carried by the current.
Now a filter sock may help but odds are with their size they would still continue and at this time not wanting to run a sock on the sump setup. Looking for some tricks on drain lines to ease the bubble creation. Currently they slowly collection on the surface of everything and are much easier to see as they turn into larger bubbles stuck on everything :) Skimmer is making very few, drain appear to be making about 80% of the trouble :)

Second issue, Display has a good cloudy effect. The particles are so tiny they very well could be the sump bubbles being fractioned more after going through the return. But they do not see to collect on the glass or anything and form larger bubbles in the display. Which leads me to think it might be simply a super super fine dust, or bacterial bloom. Its been present since the tank went wet pretty much 4 days ago.

Third issue, is with the stand pipe, air intake like has a tiny bit of a whistle to it. Again I think this is partly due to the drain sump side also, but curious if adding an additional small vent hole would help at all. Its not horrible but looking to reduce it.

Fourth issue, which is more interesting then anything else, my cycling shrimp look to be slowly coloring up as though they are cooking a bit. PH is running at 8 and was curious that they seemed to slowly be cooking in a acidic PH lol.

Any ideas would be helpful, not sure if some of this will naturally go down as the tank matures a bit. But its very curious to me to sort out some.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Not sure but the shrimp might be causing the tank to look cloudy. Are the micro bubbles getting into the display? On a side note the aquascaping looks good.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure but the shrimp might be causing the tank to look cloudy. Are the micro bubbles getting into the display? On a side note the aquascaping looks good.
Shrimp went in after. It's hard to say if their making it or not. The cloud particles are so small it's hard to tell. Bubbles are not collecting in the display as sometimes they do.

Going to upsize the drain at the sump then do some reverse j tube with vents... What's a bit more PVC to add to my collection lol

Thanks. I'm happy with my rock work. Needed a bit more room on the back side but its a minor thing.

·
Banned
447 Posts
How long has your tank been up and running? I would never worry about micro bubbles in the sump the sump. The cloudy tank, it can tank a few weeks for the silt in the live sand to settle and clear up especially if you are running all of the equipment. Generally the best way to set-up a new tank is to place about two thirds of the water into the tank and let everything settle before adding the remaining one third to the last twenty five percent of the water, the water can then be added thru the sump and onto the rocks.

It sounds like you have animals in the tank so at this point I would shut off the powerheads if any, and have a s little circulation in the main tank as possible. This will allow the silt to settle a bit.

As for the pH and the shrimp, a pH of 8.0 that isn't acidic and certainly isn't out of the "normal" range that can be expected in a marine aquarium.

Lastly, if you have a whistle in you draw, then you have an air leak somewhere and that may be what is the cause of your micro bubbles in the sump. Home Depot sells a plumbers tape that when wrapped it seals to itself and makes a bond to PVC piping it comes in various colors and it may help with the air leak.

Good luck with the tank.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long has your tank been up and running? I would never worry about micro bubbles in the sump the sump. The cloudy tank, it can tank a few weeks for the silt in the live sand to settle and clear up especially if you are running all of the equipment. Generally the best way to set-up a new tank is to place about two thirds of the water into the tank and let everything settle before adding the remaining one third to the last twenty five percent of the water, the water can then be added thru the sump and onto the rocks.

It sounds like you have animals in the tank so at this point I would shut off the powerheads if any, and have a s little circulation in the main tank as possible. This will allow the silt to settle a bit.

As for the pH and the shrimp, a pH of 8.0 that isn't acidic and certainly isn't out of the "normal" range that can be expected in a marine aquarium.

Lastly, if you have a whistle in you draw, then you have an air leak somewhere and that may be what is the cause of your micro bubbles in the sump. Home Depot sells a plumbers tape that when wrapped it seals to itself and makes a bond to PVC piping it comes in various colors and it may help with the air leak.

Good luck with the tank.
Umm think you might of glossed over my post. :)

No live stock in it but dead shrimp for cycling ;)

No live sand refer to tank display picture. No sand at all actually ;)

Whistle is intake on top of the durso stand pipe :)

·
Banned
447 Posts
Sorry for the gloss; I haven't heard of using dead shrimp to cycle a tank and must say it interests me. I have always used drops of household ammonia and tested before and after to see ammonia levels.

I did notice that there was no sand in the pictures, I also noticed that your rocks were white, and looked like base rock and not live rock.

Should you have decaying shrimp in your tank then it is possible that the cloudy water is from the decaying shrimp.

Good luck on the sandless tank, I am not familiar with this method/technology and I really can not provide any experience (from years in the hobby or from my vast number of articles and books I read) on the subject. I know there are individuals that support this technology on this site and they certainly can offer some suggestions.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the gloss; I haven't heard of using dead shrimp to cycle a tank and must say it interests me. I have always used drops of household ammonia and tested before and after to see ammonia levels.

I did notice that there was no sand in the pictures, I also noticed that your rocks were white, and looked like base rock and not live rock.

Should you have decaying shrimp in your tank then it is possible that the cloudy water is from the decaying shrimp.

Good luck on the sandless tank, I am not familiar with this method/technology and I really can not provide any experience (from years in the hobby or from my vast number of articles and books I read) on the subject. I know there are individuals that support this technology on this site and they certainly can offer some suggestions.
Not a problem :)

I have other tanks that are no sand and love em.
It's dry rock but washed ect. Cloudiness was present before the shrimp.
Mostly seems to be bubbles but its interesting.

Toying with drain output to remove any bubbles I can to see how it changes.

Dead shrimp is a simple method basically you make a bit of waste to let bacteria increase the population. I've done most other methods figured I would try this one out. :)

·
Banned
447 Posts
I haven't read anything about this method, please keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts