The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a sebae anemone 3 days ago. I have a 55g tank with t5 lighting and good params. When i turn the lights out at night its mouth gets inverted and it shrivels up. 10-15 minutes later it looks relatively normal.Is this a bad sign?? I heard it is a sign they are dying when mouth is inverted? Thanks!!!

· Registered
715 Posts
What lighting was it under?
How many T5 lamps do you have? What wattage? Does your fixture have individual reflectors?
What color is the anemone?
What are your current water parameters?
Can you post a picture of the anemone?

· Banned
566 Posts
I just bought a sebae anemone 3 days ago. I have a 55g tank with t5 lighting and good params. When i turn the lights out at night its mouth gets inverted and it shrivels up. 10-15 minutes later it looks relatively normal.Is this a bad sign?? I heard it is a sign they are dying when mouth is inverted? Thanks!!!
Do you notice brown slime coming from the nem!

· Banned
566 Posts
You mean like it was adjusting its zooxanthellae, which often happens with newly introduced anemones, and not some mystery disease?
Well triple A didn't answer my question about brown slime, which is a bad sign itself.

So what do you call a shriveled nem, with an inverted mouth giving off zoo?
You seem to be calling it OK.
I call it nem decline!

Nem decline is not a mystery disease! Just go through the posts and you will find dozens of reported cases. I'm not sure what is the purposse of denying this?

Why don't you post directly on my: What is nem decline thread?

· Reefelicious
610 Posts
Ray, anemone's need time to adjust to a new tank, especially if the lighting is better because its will take time and look through people slime due to new lighting, parameters, etc. So if i continues its a bad sign but it hopefully is getting used to the new tank

· Banned
566 Posts
Ray, anemone's need time to adjust to a new tank, especially if the lighting is better because its will take time and look through people slime due to new lighting, parameters, etc. So if i continues its a bad sign but it hopefully is getting used to the new tank
I really hope your right but most people are unsuccessful at keeping nems and I don't like the idea of wasting precious reef animals if it isn't necessary.

· Registered
715 Posts
Well triple A didn't answer my question about brown slime, which is a bad sign itself.

So what do you call a shriveled nem, with an inverted mouth giving off zoo?
You seem to be calling it OK.
I call it nem decline!

Nem decline is not a mystery disease! Just go through the posts and you will find dozens of reported cases. I'm not sure what is the purposse of denying this?

Why don't you post directly on my: What is nem decline thread?
It is not a "disease", it is just something that you made up to give an excuse for an anemone dying.

Did I say that it was "OK"? No, I didn't, so please do not put words in my mouth.

Dozens of cases??!! Just because you state that an anemone died because of a disease that you made up does not count as a "case"

My purpose in denying your disease is that it is a cop-out for why an anemone died. One needs to figure out why the anemone actually dead, so that issue can be addressed. Just saying that it was "nem decline" does nothing to help another anemone from dying. It could have been improper collection, a newbie purchasing anemone that was already bleached/dying (( collection/shipping is very hard on anemones )); improper water parameters, etc.

Just using a blanket term for an anemones death does more harm than good, wish you could see that.

I have been keeping anemones for the last 20 years, with the longest one being in my care for 13 years before I screwed up. I have seen 2 different answers from you about your experiences with anemones, one being about 3 years (( with E. quadricolors only )) or 30 years....

My point is try to help others care for their anemones and if it dies figure out why, and not just say it was "decline".

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe it was just the anemone getting used to water and lighting in my tank. It is doing great now and my clowns are hosting well and everything!! Todd to answer your question it is under LED lighting(a DIY project where i ended up getting too many leds so now i have them turned down some) and all params are stable(dont feel like testing water for a question that doesnt matter anymore). Sorry it took so long to reply. But thanks everybody!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.