The Reef Tank banner
241 - 260 of 263 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
I plan on ordering a Robert King CharChamber for my fry tanks and possibly a few. They use aquachar instead of charcoal. It’s supposed to raise Ph and help reduce water changes. As soon as Robert gets back to me I will order and try one to see if his claims are correct which I do believe. He been raising fry for over 49 years and still has his original pair of clowns laying, 32 years old I think.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
It’s cool watching the fry slowly taking to chopped frozen mysis. I feed sparingly before they get live brine shrimp. Little by little more of them eating it. The other will learn from the ones eating already.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
My CharChamber is on its way. It uses aquachar and air. From all accounts I have heard it will eliminate the need for water changes in the fry systems. Raise the PH and keep it stable and add biological filtration to the tanks. A clown fish breeder designed it and has a patent pending. He was dealing with the same things that seahorse breeders deal with is how difficult it is to keep water quality up and cut back on water changes. He has fry tank that have gone 7 months without a water change and almost 100 percent survival rate. Multiple seahorse breeder have added to their fry tanks and testing them out. In a few weeks I will be ordering a larger one for my 75 gallon tank. I will update the results.
aqua char is not your typical carbon and can be used in any system. What make the chamber unique is air forces water though it and in the process keeps it from building up the slime that most carbon reactors get with just water passing.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Water change on 38 gallon tank, fry are starting to eat frozen, not sure if all are. I don’t think they are . The mini mysis is actually larger then my regular mysis. So they will get regular. Some can take a whole mysis in one snick. Other it takes two tries.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Received the CharChamber today for my fry tank. Installed and time to see how well it works. I do like that I have bubbles in the tank now for extra water flow . It’s designed well.
Light Purple Fluid Liquid Visual effect lighting

Purple Art Entertainment Terrestrial plant Electric blue

Circuit component Fluid Electronic instrument Entertainment Visual effect lighting

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts
Hey Vinnie.....is THAT cylinder in the corner with the bubbles the whole shebang, or is there more outside your tank?
And THIS extends/eliminates water changes? :unsure:
Hack

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Yes that’s all of it, just add a air pump. For Robert it did eliminate water changes, the aqua char will pull contaminants out and clear like charcoal. The air stone forces water over the aquachar to keep the slime from building up and also works as biological filtration. You just change a portion of the char about 6 months. Or if you get movement of the char overtime. It’s being used by a number of fish breeders and seahorse breeders. I’m testing it out. Robert is also at 100% survival rate on his fry which is pretty amazing. Anything that saves on time and money is worth trying out. It’s well designed.

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts
Is the 'Char' just activated carbon/charcoal or is it a proprietary material to the system? Just interested in following along with your 'evaluation'...:unsure:...,NEW is always interesting. Especially with that new thread I just started. (y) Is this also strictly a 'seahorse tank' thing, or can be used in the marine hobby in general?
Hack

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Char is pretty much the same as charcoal but it done differently and make it more porous. I will put a link.
They been doing a lot of research. And is used by all types of breeders over activated charcoal. The seahorse breeder I follow have all switched and like it better. But then Robert took it another step and created the CharChamber. He has a good relationship now with aquachar

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
The chamber would be easy to make DYI, and Robert even says if you make it just don’t sell as he does have a patent pending. I rather support the small business and not worry about making. But if I was going to run carbon in my reef it would be aquachar

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Seahorse fry are doing good with mysis, I don’t have to chop any longer as they are getting the hang of snicking the whole mysis and pretty much eat what I put in and don’t seem to be any waste. So now I will increase the mysis and cut back Bbs. This maybe hard on some if they don’t eat it but has to be done.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
You can do a reef with seahorses, they are super nice so long as you pick the right corals and fish. It would really be nice in a Stoney tank. I saw a 300 gallon take in a video with 37 seahorses and full of peaceful fish and corals. Have to find it.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Yeah just want to keep a little cooler. But a healthy seahorse in a balance system can take a little higher temperature then what people keep them at.

·
Super Moderator
27,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
241 - 260 of 263 Posts