The Reef Tank banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Administrator
48,447 Posts
So are these a tradable or sell commodity when they grow out?

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
I another week or two I will start training them to feed on frozen mysis. But I’m at square one with the other batch

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
It’s funny how things work out. I put a small anti siphon hole in my return line. Really small and it created this bubbling effect. I let it go and found it to break up the surface just enough to keep any film from developing on surface. Funny how a mistake can turn into a positive outcome.

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
These tubs work excellent. They stay clean. Nothing collects on the bottom and then every other day I swap the filter drain tube and clean the other for nex time.

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Well I took a chance today and removed some rock from the sump on my reefs sump and placed into sump on fry tubs. These guys have been in sterile water since day one and not exposed to any thing biological. My reef is clean and never a sign of parasites or anything else. So I’m hoping nothing is present that will harm them. I guess 4 weeks of age is good of time to do it . I hoping it help with water quality and not doing 40 to 50 % water changes daily. Cut down on cost.

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Thank Hack,

so far they seem fine and I will do good. I’m testing for ammonia daily

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
It seem like non stop food . I always have to have a good supply of enriched bbs. My hatching cone are constantly going and then a few enriching bowls. They need to be 24 hours old before the bbs start eating. So they are good between 36 and 72 hours. Then I have a grow out tank to allow for larger brine as the fry matures

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Yeah it can be a pain. I enrich with baker’s yeast and enrichment from Alyssa’s seahorses. It’s not cheap and the reason I mix it up.

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Between water changes on the fry then my other tanks I can’t keep up with fresh saltwater. I have been using 44 gallon brute on wheels. 1 for RO/DI water, 1 for saltwater and 1 for water waste during water changes. I had another out by a shed without wheels. I’m adding a 4 44 brute, now I will have saltwater in 2 of the brutes.

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
No real update, did 100% water change in 20 gallon tank, clean and sanitized with peroxide. All doing good.
then introduce the 5 week old fry to frozen mysis chopped really small. They looked at it but I couldn’t tell if any ate any. Will continue trying. Be nice to get them eating frozen food.

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,191 Posts
Vinnie, when you say you sanitize with peroxide - are you scrubbing them wiping it down with a peroxide soaked rag or are you circulating a peroxide/water mix through everything for a bit then emptying and filling with marine water?

·
Super Moderator
27,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
I empty them wash real good and then mix peroxide with water and wipe it down and let it sit for awhile and then rinse again. Just want to Kill and remove slime and bacteria. And these 100 % water changes help get the fry use to sudden changes in water.
I even given them fresh water baths before by accident with no I’ll affects.

·
Super Moderator
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
1,191 Posts
Thanks. I wondered cause at the hotel they have little packets they dump in the guest room jacuzzis and run the pump for 20 minutes to sanitize it - piping, pump, and all. It is basically peroxide.

181 - 200 of 202 Posts