The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys
Just wanted to say thanks for a great and interesting site! I will be setting up my tank in a few weeks time, but have a number of questions.
1) Have heard quite a bit on Natural systems, can someone clarify the basics and provide a link to a site that gives practical tips on setting up in this way.
2) I want to run a reef tank, with max two to three small fish. Mainly inverts and soft corals. Tank volume will be around 30 gal.
3) Lighting will be Metal Halide, situated about 24" above the tank. Tank top will be open.
4) Have very easy access to excellent quality natural sea water, (Live twenty minutes from a clean collection site. What are thoughts on this. Will allow the water to stand for 2 to 3 weeks prior to use.
5) Top up water.. can one use rain water or distilled water. (Cheaper than buying R/O equipment.
6) I want to use the plenium system. Any comments and can I use coral sand seeded with locally collected (live) beach sand? Water temp around here is lower than tropical at around 65F

Thats it for now.
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
211 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

Let me see if I can tackle a couple of these.

1) Have heard quite a bit on Natural systems, can someone clarify the basics and provide a link to a site that gives practical tips on setting up in this way.

By natural, are you refering to the Berlin method? Live rock and live sand? A true Berlin method is pretty simple. Lots of live rock, lots of live sand, plenty of water movement. That's about it. I personally don't know anybody who is doing this method purely. Most people add protein skimming, refugium, etc. You mentioned a plenum so you might want to check out Garf http://garf.org/ and find the link to the bullet proof reef calculator. They offer a very simple approach. Not totally "natural" but close.

2) I want to run a reef tank, with max two to three small fish. Mainly inverts and soft corals. Tank volume will be around 30 gal.

3) Lighting will be Metal Halide, situated about 24" above the tank. Tank top will be open.

If you are going with softies like shrooms, leathers, and such, you could do without the metal halides. Unless you already own them, save your money for other things like good quality live rock. You could do 2 - 24" 75 watt VHO and grow most any softy and then some.

4) Have very easy access to excellent quality natural sea water, (Live twenty minutes from a clean collection site. What are thoughts on this. Will allow the water to stand for 2 to 3 weeks prior to use.

This is a good thread for that topic. Seawater

5) Top up water.. can one use rain water or distilled water. (Cheaper than buying R/O equipment.

Don't use rain water unless you are absolutely sure you have no polution in the air in your area. If you decide to try it, don't collect it out of rain guters or off the roof of your house. Dirt and chemical will be collected in the water and you will pollute your tank.

Hope some of that helps

·
Premium Member
19,379 Posts
Welcome to TRT, congrats on finding the site from S. Africa!

Are you on the Eastern Coast?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you all for the threads and advice. I live in Durbanville, a suburd just outside Cape Town. I suppose that one could say that we are on the West Coast, althouth the area is known as the Southern most tip of Africa. (We live about 100 mile from Cape Agulas that holds that distinction), while Cape Point is the meeting point of the Mighty Atlantic and Indian Oceans. Cape Town is about 60 mile from Cape point! After that geography lesson....thanks once again for the info and will certainly stay posted!
Cheers
Mike L

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.