The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a new Red Sea- Prizm Skimmer yesterday and followed all directions step by step. :read:My question is, should there be water inside the collection container in addition to some foam or should there ONLY be foam in the collection container? When I first ran it, the collection container was full with water and I dumped half of it out, now its steady full with water at the halfway mark. The water appears cloudy, so I assume its dirty water. Everything else appears to be bubbling right and there is a small steady build up of dirty foam in collection cup. Does anyone have this type of skimmer that can tell me if Im doing it right? Please help! Thanks!

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
It should be mostly foam, if you are gettng clear water in the cup then you have it closed off to much. Only foam should be pushed into the cup and then eventually tea-colored water (what the foam condenses to) should remain. It should not fill up the cup but you will have about 1/2 inch to an inch per week depending on your bioload. I think I might have some prizm photos in one of my skimmer threads, but this is a modded prizm that I "tricked out".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying! I dumped out all the dirty water and adjusted the valve a little like you said and its a lot better! There is only approx 1/4 inch water and the dirty foam is collecting at the top now so I think its better. I appreciate your help, this whole hobby has been quite the learning experience, but its so rewarding!:D

·
Registered
249 Posts
ya you just got to work on it and adjust a little until its right. if its also new skimmers usually have a break in period so that could also be it. if it seems to be working now though leave it.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
It will take a couple weeks to "season" the skimmer. Prizms are hard to keep adjusted, I've had several over the years including the regular Prizm and the Prizm Pro and they are not the best but will work. I finally gave up and got a CPR BakPak II which wasn't much better but did a better job before finally installing sumps on my systems with in sump skimmers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts