The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to this forum. My 55 gallon reef setup is 3 weeks in. I have some old powerheads (they are black and just marked "powerhead" on the sides) from a previous setup that had crashed. I am looking to get new powerheads that will increase my flow rate. I am also planning on buying one of those Sea Swirl wavemakers for my sump return (Mag Drive 5). Can anyone suggest any for me to help move my water around?

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
MechEng said:
Hello all. I am new to this forum. My 55 gallon reef setup is 3 weeks in. I have some old powerheads (they are black and just marked "powerhead" on the sides) from a previous setup that had crashed. I am looking to get new powerheads that will increase my flow rate. I am also planning on buying one of those Sea Swirl wavemakers for my sump return (Mag Drive 5). Can anyone suggest any for me to help move my water around?

Maxi jet 1200's are a good pump! JMO
Brent.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I have Maxi Jet 1200's and have never had a problem with them

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. So, if I get these MaxiJet 1200's, should I get 2 of them? Also, any suggestions on how to orient them?

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
I use the Maxi Jets and I also use the Hydor water rflectors. I would arange them in the corners and use the reflectors to keep a good flow to the entire tank.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Maxi jets are good, and you can buy a wavemaker kit that comes w/ a timer strip and 3 pumps from Drs. Foster/Smith or other sites..... I almost went this route and did the Maxi-Stream mod to them.

Instead I went w/ a MJ 1200 w/ a hydor deflector and a Seio pump. I like my flow becuase it is a varied flow w/ the deflector.....JME

1 - 6 of 6 Posts