The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setup: 55gal w/20gal sump Tank has just been put back together with new LR and water.

My skimmer is brand new, so I understand I have to wait 24-48 hours for it to break in. Just have some questions about the return line and the injector.

right now I have the return line like this...

is that ok? or should I angle it another way? I did it like this to reduce microbubles.. it helped some, but not all.

The other quetion I have is how do I want that blue valve thats on the air intake? didnt seem to make a differance in anything no matter which way I turned it..

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Not familiar with that type of skimmer but I can say that it could take well over 48 hrs to break a new skimmer in so be patient. As for the air inlet valve, not sure for that make. Maybe contact the manufacturer or vendor for advice. One tip is dont mess with adjustments till its broke in. Then, just do one small adjustment at a time and wait. It takes time for adjustments to settle ion and to really see what they do.

Robert

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, i screwed up the title.. its supposed to be PM (precision marine) :)

I'll give it a few days to break in.. I do know Im probably going to need a bigger sump though. the skimmer is in with the return pump, so im going to have 2 problems.. microbubbles and constant fluctuations in water lvl. I'm wanting to get a custom sump made. Just have to see if I can have it shipped over or if I'll just have to go with a 29 gal tank modified.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The way you have the air valve in the pic is almost wide open. When it is closed it is turned 90 degrees to the left. On my skimmer it seems to work best about half open (this will be different for everyone). I have found the pump makes a big difference in performance. A pressure rated pump that handles high head works best with the becket injectors. Give it several days to break in and then make small adjustments as mentioned above.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im getting pretty good foam now(after 24hrs).. I have a Mag 12 im probably going to throw on there.

mg.. thanks for the info.. thats what I was wondering. Where the valve had to be to be open or closed.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
No problem. I origionally ran a Mag9 on mine and it worked ok. I now run a Panworld 150ps and it is awsome. I probably pull out about 4 cups or dark brown skimate a week.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Start with the air valve at around 11:00 for position. I don't see a gate valve so you have to adjust the water level by turning the outlet PVC. Adjust it until you can just see water at the bottom of the clear acrylic. I'd also get rid of that airstone/muffler. They clog REALLY easy and you'll never get any consistancy. Just a note: If you put you hand, or even a finger in the water, the skimmer will stop for at least an hour or 2. Once the unit starts producing, adjust the air valve until you see a fine, even column of small air bubbles. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whatevva said:
Start with the air valve at around 11:00 for position. I don't see a gate valve so you have to adjust the water level by turning the outlet PVC. Adjust it until you can just see water at the bottom of the clear acrylic. I'd also get rid of that airstone/muffler. They clog REALLY easy and you'll never get any consistancy. Just a note: If you put you hand, or even a finger in the water, the skimmer will stop for at least an hour or 2. Once the unit starts producing, adjust the air valve until you see a fine, even column of small air bubbles. Good Luck :)
The airstone/muffler.. you talking about that white thing on the air intake?

Right now for my outlet, im useing the two 90 deg pipes that came with the system. the first comes 90 deg out of the skimmer then goes horizontal and then the second 90 deg pipe going strait up. Is this ok? or should I turn the second 90 deg to the side?

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
The airstone/muffler.. you talking about that white thing on the air intake?<!-- / message -->
Yes, if you don't mind the extra noise, take that off

Right now for my outlet, im useing the two 90 deg pipes that came with the system. the first comes 90 deg out of the skimmer then goes horizontal and then the second 90 deg pipe going strait up. Is this ok? or should I turn the second 90 deg to the side?
You can adjust that 90 deg connection to raise or lower the water level in the skimmer. Adjust it until you can just barely see water at the bottom of the acrylic tube. If you can fit it, the gate valve is much more precise.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whatevva said:
Yes, if you don't mind the extra noise, take that off
Cool.. will take that off when I get home.

whatevva said:
You can adjust that 90 deg connection to raise or lower the water level in the skimmer. Adjust it until you can just barely see water at the bottom of the acrylic tube. If you can fit it, the gate valve is much more precise.
If I remove the second 90 deg, I should be able to fit a gate valve.. might not have HD over here.. but there are some good hardware stores.

again, thanks for all your help. :banana:

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
It's also hard to see, but that outlet has to be above the sump water level. You can raise that skimmer a bit. That will also give you more water vloume in the sump. In the photo below you can see how high mine is. I've also added the collection cup

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow.. that is high. should be able to make something like that.

notice you still have your airstone/muffler on there. :D

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
notice you still have your airstone/muffler on there
That's an old pic...I'll try to get an updated one for ya tonight :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whatevva said:
That's an old pic...I'll try to get an updated one for ya tonight :)
cool thanks..

well i just got home from work, went to check the skimmer and I had about a gallon of water in my stand. good thing my buddy fiberglassed the bottom. I think my skimmer somehow overflowed my catch bottle I had.. it was full of water.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I know it says to have the return above water level, but I run mine submerged and use the muffler and it runs very consistent and never needs adjusting. I have been using it about a year and a half. It is raised in the sump, but my water level runs fairly high. The water is about 2" above the outlet in the gate valve.

Also when adjusting the water level in the skimmer column make sure to close the air valve. Seems obvious to me, but just though I'd make sure you knew that.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
fdokinawa, it would definately be in your best interest to get a skimmer collection cup. IME this has been the most valuable tool to prevent mishaps like the one you've mentioned. These skimmers are one of the best on the market IMO but they can be finniky at times and sometimes they will just "puke" out water. Just a thought HTH

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
Butch, just out of curiosity did the directions say to have the water level where you have it? IME when I was running a bullet 1 I had the water level at 3/4 to the black ring. maybe you'll get better skimmate this way as I remember you were saying you were havin slight difficulty getting a really good green skimmate.
cheers, Chris:D

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
BTW Butch, you may be getting skewed readings with your pH probe. I see you have a couple of the teeth busted off. Man those things are delicate;) Nice looking set up under there though:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts