The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a biocube 14 gallon with stand, 15 pounds of ultra fiji live rock, a refractometer, thermometer, test kit, ~15 pounds live sand, an ATO, a protein skimmer (which I've been advised to not turn on until after the cycle) and Dr Tims one and only.

I've set up the tank with the salt water reading 1.026, have the live sand bed, and put in the live rock today along with the Dr Tims one and Only.

What are my next steps? What lights should I be running through the cycle (if at all)?

I've attached some pics of my current set up. Any suggestions and input are greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, looks like I will be placing an order for some pure ammonia shortly. Do you have any other tips regarding my other question? How long do I leave the lights on while cycling?

I appreciate your support and am extremely excited to get started in the hobby!

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Lights are up to you. Many leave their lights off during the cycle to try to avoid algae. But algae is going to show up eventually anyway so it's just kind of delaying the inevitable so run them if you like. As for length, I usually have my lights kick on around 8 and shut off around 8, but mine have a ramping up and down period, if yours don't have that you'll want to shorten that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mine are just standard buttons so I guess I will just have to monitor them and set remember to turn them on and off.

Thank you again for your help! Looking forward to gaining knowledge and hopefully sharing it one day with the community!

As an aside - does my rock hard scape look alright? I have two large pieces on either side of the tank with a third creating a shelf and a large cave in between. The shelf piece seems to have some purplish coloring on it.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Looks good! If you're anything like the rest of us though you'll rearrange it 15 (or 150) times before you settle a design. :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, I'm sure that will happen eventually. I'm really excited to get the tank started. It's amazing how much better the tank looks already going from just live sand to live rock. With corals and fish I really hope it brings back my memories of scuba diving in the caribbean.

Thank you again for your guidance. It is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
No problem! There are lots of really friendly, knowledgable people here on TRT so don't be afraid to ask anything. :) Research is key in having a successful tank and unfortunately most store employees either aren't trained that well in saltwater or are just out to make a sale, a forum like this is great for access to fellow hobbiests.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts