The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
dahh ok swevn
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of starting up a planted 60 gallon tank. I am piecing together a system from spare parts. So far I have a reef ready 60 gallon tank that was my old reef tank. For lighting I have two 96 watt PFO CF bulbs. I am going to pull my CO2 system off my 29 gal FW Planted tank. The only thing I have to buy is a filter. I am thinking of getting an Ehiem Profesional II filter that pumps out 250 gpm. My questions here are is the lighting going to good and is the filter strong enough? This will be my second attempt at a planted tank. Now I have a 29 gal that is doing ok none of the plants have really died off yet and it has been a 2 or so months. I dose flourish on a weekly basis with water changes as well as NPK. My dosing is very primative, a little of this and a little of that, very scienetific. Does anyone have a better way of dosing?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,655 Posts
That lighting will be more than enough for your 60 gallon tank. When you say 250 GPM, you mean GPH right? Just making sure because 250 GPM (gallons per minute) would be way too much.

My fert dosing was never very complicated either, I dosed Po4 to .1 (using fleet enema to save cash) nitrate to 10 (KNO3). Dosed about 5 ML of trace (CSM-B) and I think 30 ml of Potassium (K2SO4), with 4-5 ML flourish iron, to my 29, all this was done after my weekly 50% water change. In this tank I used fluorite substrate, and had 2X55W PC lighting.

The thing is that I made stock solutions for all this using dry powders so my amounts don't really translate into what you would use for flourish products.

HTH,
Whiskey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts