The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday was a pretty busy day. After bringing my new scooter home I got my dog, Argus, out of the bedroom to take him outside for a walk. Nobody noticed that the FedEx guy leaving the big package on the front steps. I was so excited that Argus' walk got cut a little short.

First impressions:
The styrofoam packaging sucks. It's brittle and there's specks of it everywhere. I'm not sure how I'm going to get it all rinsed off. They should have packed it in plastic bags. There's even bits of styrofoam inside the skimmer below the bubble plate.

No detailed instructions, but not too hard to figure out how to put it together based on the pictures. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the cover off of the pump, put the base on the other side and attach the venturi.

They told me it had an improved needlewheel design. As far as I can tell, it's a standard OTP-2000 needle wheel pump. I got the needlewheel out and it looks like everything is glued together so I don't know how brave I'm going to be on modding it. I did do a fishing line mod with some 4lb test line. I had the pump in a bucket with 3 gallons of freshwater and I was suprised at how quiet it is and how many bubbles it produced in freshwater.

The collection cup holds just over 4 cups of liquid. If it gets 4 cups of liquid in it, I'll be hard pressed not to spill any out when removing the cup.

The bad news...
It's going to be a while before I can hook it up and use it. Because I'm using a 29 gallon AGA aquarium for my sump, there's not enough vertical space in the stand to install it...yet. It would fit if it didn't have the big base plate on the bottom and if my sump wasn't pushed all the way to the left inside the stand.

When my 44 gallon is done cycling (soon I hope, it's already been 4 weeks), I'm breaking the 75 gallon down so I can re-work the sump. I'm removing the baffles and re-plumbing the drain and return lines. While I have the 75 off the stand I'll put the skimmer in the sump. I know I won't be able to remove the skimmer without draining the tank again, but I'm going to do it anyway. There is plenty of room to remove the collection cup inside the stand and there is going to be enough room that I should be able to move the skimmer enough to get a big bottle brush inside to clean it when needed.

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet...I don't have any macro lenses to take close up pictures of the fishing line mod. Depending on how the evening goes I might get a pic or two of the skimmer.

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok...it's up and running, but there's nothing in the tank and sump but saltwater. My rocks are still cooking in a tub next to the tank so there's not a whole lot for it to work on. I'm still waiting for the overflow plumbing to slime up a little bit to quiet things down. I may have to turn the return pump off and put a few rocks in the sump to speed up the break in process.

I did end up taking the fishing line off. I may have had too much on, but it didn't look like I was getting a lot of bubbles with it on. After I took it off, it seemed to work a little better.

Even though there's nothing but water and what little detritus I couldn't get out of the sump, the riser tube is as low as it will go and the skimmer looks like it wants to start skimming. Bubbles are coming about half way up the neck and it's starting to get a little build up of brown in the neck.

I'm getting the camera out and should have pics in a few minutes...somehow I knew I wasn't going to get out of this without pics. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts