The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my new toy i got today. unbelievable how accurate it is. the ol' hydrometer was reading at 1.026 and my SG was actually 1.021!!!!!!! (dont worry folks, yes i calibrated it.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Fun aren't they ! My husband pitched a fit when I said we needed one and how much it cost ,but he loves it and is always checking the tanks :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
One of the most important tools in the hobby. I love mine as well. What's the salinity in that Corona bottle behind it? :lol:

·
Registered
299 Posts
YOU ROCK!!! I was just joshing, but now we know ladies and gentleman!!!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I Guess that wouldnt technically qualify as wasting a corona. Im tempted to walk my *** down to the beach and see how the pacific ocean here in Pismo Beach tests as far as nitrate, nitrite, ph, etc goes.

But that tools cool, the lady who sold me my 29g tank gave me mine for free. Not bad for $60 =o

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jflip2002 said:
I Guess that wouldnt technically qualify as wasting a corona. Im tempted to walk my *** down to the beach and see how the pacific ocean here in Pismo Beach tests as far as nitrate, nitrite, ph, etc goes.

But that tools cool, the lady who sold me my 29g tank gave me mine for free. Not bad for $60 =o
dont worry...i only used a drop. i got the full effect of the beer. or four. :lol:

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
just want to chime in and show that this example is NOT the exception, but more the common rule.

I also spend several months keeping my tank at the WRONG salinity because I was using a hydrometer that told me my tank was at 1.025, but when I got a refractometer..turned out I was REALLY keeping the tank at 1.031!

It's more than just something you put on your wish list, it really is a necessity. For those of you who plan to get one down the road...when you finally do get it, be sure to let us know how far off you were keeping your tank.

Congrats!

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
One of the best tools you can have besides R/OD/I unit for reefing my salinity was way off when i used my old Seatest meter {hydrometer style}
that is now in our local landfill right next to my Seaclone skimmer, now you dont have to worie the refractometers are the onle way to go!
Brent.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts