The Reef Tank banner

New Nano Questions

907 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  dme330i 
#1 ·
I just ordered a new 12 gal. JBJ lighting nano aquarium tonight! I got florida crushed coral, test kits, and all that stuff. Im seeking advise before i set it up and every thing.
P.S. i am getting salts and hopefully liverock from my big brother.
Any advise and critisizm is smiled upon:)
thanks

#2 ·
darthteddy said:
I just ordered a new 12 gal. JBJ lighting nano aquarium tonight! I got florida crushed coral, test kits, and all that stuff. Im seeking advise before i set it up and every thing.
P.S. i am getting salts and hopefully liverock from my big brother.
Any advise and critisizm is smiled upon:)
thanks
dont use the crushed coral, you will have problems with nutriens in no time, use something that is finer

#3 ·
Yeah I agree, I would totally skip the crushed coral. Later down the line you'll run into big problems with nitrate spikes, and you'll ened up want to change to sand anyways. I say just start off with sand and you'll save yourself a lot of energy and money in the long run.

What do you want to do with the tank? What kind of lighting are you using?

#4 ·
i hears that it keeps the Ph nice and works as a good buffer to tho
o god all the decisions!
i have the stock lighting that it comes with but i ordered a reef buldb or something. The whole thing is by a good lighting brand (JBJ) so i think that for now since i am a beginer it will do
any more advise?

#7 ·
mollusk3D said:
i hears that it keeps the Ph nice and works as a good buffer to tho
o god all the decisions!
i have the stock lighting that it comes with but i ordered a reef buldb or something. The whole thing is by a good lighting brand (JBJ) so i think that for now since i am a beginer it will do
any more advise?
DONT DO IT, the crush coral will crash your tank, no doubt in my mind. go get some southdown sand, or any other pet brand live sand.

#8 ·
k
i was thinkin some cool reef fish with mabe some soft and hard corals. I dont really like mushrooms cuz they dont look that cool.lol
i want a lot in a little and as much color as posible. i am a newbi so mabe my demands are impossible but i have still lain them out
any more questions or comments?

#9 ·
i ended up using tahitian(?) moon sand
is this a good choise

#10 ·
I wouldn't try to do as many fish a you could. I would defintely research any fish before putting them in there. You don't want to create a heavy bioload, especially for such a small tank. One Maybe to fish should be ok, but make sure you research the fish before putting them in there.

#12 ·
CC in a nano works fine. Regardless of your substrate, you'll have to perform frequent water changes. The good thing about CC or BB is that you can siphon detritus without the problems of sand being sucked out. Also, depending on how "sparkling" you want your water, you might consider running Purigen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.