The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have always had freshwater tanks and after a recent renovation have decided I would like to do my first salt water tank.

I currently have a 90 gallon with two Red Tiger Oscars and a 60” 120 with African Cichlids.

The cichlids will be sold to my fish store and the 120 will be the salt tank. I have no experience so I am here to learn and hopefully make a solid plan.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Welcome and have fun.
The first thing you really should do is decide what livestock you really must have in the tank and plan around that.
If you want corals there are certain fish that you can’t have as they will eat them. Also as with fresh water fish some just don’t get along.
Take your time as patience is your friend. Make sure tank is cycled before adding livestock. I highly recommend using the shrimp method for cycling.
Don’t try to chase specific numbers for your water parameters trying to get and keep a certain number causes a lot of unnecessary work and stress to you. This should be fun and relaxing not stressful.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I would ultimately like some soft corals and invertebrates, Clown fish, tangs if they don’t eat my coral, maybe some blennies. With no marine experience I wondered if a FOWLR tank would be a better place to start. The reef is the eventual goal though. I am all for properly cycling.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
A good place to get information on livestock is
liveaquaria.com
Many people start with fish and add corals after they get the tank stable and know how it works.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,598 Posts
HEY TINSNIPS,welcome to TRT! Seems like only yesterday I was welcoming you to OneFora.....Glad you came over. A fantastic group of Folks on here.

Corals aren't hard, just 'different'. You'll be fine starting off with a 'softies' reef.
After a 7 year run with my 210 gallon softies reef, I'm contemplating switching over to the Hard Corals, better known by us softies keepers as 'pretty colored stones'. 😁

Go have some fun!
Hack

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hack, good to be here. Pretty rocks, I like it. I’m gonna window shop around here for a while till I have a idea what I want.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,333 Posts
Put live rock in there then sit on your hands or have some Poutine. Nothing happens fast.

Reactions: Tinsnips
1 - 12 of 12 Posts