The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
well, after lurking for sometime, and saving money for even longer, I am finaly ready to set up my new tank. This is my second "attempt", as my first attempt was an unecessary "learning experience". Thank god for sites like this one.

Last night I ordered all of my equipment (except the lights) and as I hit the confirm order button I thought to myself, welp, guess its time that I registered here, as I am going to have lots of pictures to show, and questions to ask.

So, later this week I will begin working on my stand, that is very similar to some of the on going projects that I see here.

Here is a quick run-down of what I have, or have "in the mail".

60g RR Glass tank. 36lX18wX24 tall. Nice tall deep tank.
(This was bought over a year ago, but we had a baby boy in
November that delayed this process.)
50g Rubbermaid sump
Mag 12 return
3 Maxi jet 12
AquaC Urchin skimmer w/maxi not rio

The lights i will order tomorrow, but will be 2-250W MH (iwasakis)and 2 36" 96W PC actinics

My stand will be very similar to thefatmans drawing, basically a 36" stand with a 2' wide cabinet running up the left hand side of the tank. The sump will take up the entire space under the tank but the cabinet will allow me to use 15g trash can for auto top off, and kalk dosing, and a fuge down the road.

I have several bags of southdown, but will top that with ls.

Can't wait to get started, and my new Olympus 3020 will be well used!

Dave Loucks

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
Greetings Dave, Congrats on the son , and congrats on seting up the tank. As you can see we have a few works in progress and some friendly people so ask away and ENJOY:D

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
WELCOME DAVE!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
MontanaRocknReefer said:
Hey Jeff! Glad you got your avatar back!:D
ya Johnny, i changed it back, and saw your new one,,and looked around for others, and saw nuttin i liked, so fer now i used the orig. one...

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
welcome dave!! good to have you here!

beware of the bigtankitis though..... i planned my stand accordingly, with the simple removal of my cabinet on top, it will support a 180g tank :D

lets see those pics every step of the way!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I will post pictures of the start of the stand this weekend, im not much of a paint, or photoshoper, so for now you will just have to "picture it" as any drawing within my ability would not be very helpfull in seeing the actual design.

In the meantime, I am running a seperate circuit for the tank in my house, and I was going to run 30amp wire, just in case I ever needed to up the breaker. With my lights, and pumps from above, do you think a 30amp is needed or can I get away with a 20 if the tank (lights, heaters, pumps, powerheads) are the only things on it?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, BTW whats with the Astrea Snail comment? Jay?

Dave

(looks like I haven't been lurking long enough if I don't know about this one.)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Welcome to TRT, Dave! Your son is going to love gazing at the tank-which means you can hold him on your lap and stare at it too. Bonus! (and a good excuse ;) )

Alice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.