The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this place yesterday while browsing for reef related websites. I am very much interested in renewing my past infatuation with reef aquariums. I had a 180 gallon reef in the early '90s that was maturing nicely when Hurricane Andrew struck Miami and I suffered the loss of my tank inhabitants. I sold all the equipment except for my Energy Savers lighting, and bought a 180 gallon Tenecor plexi tank and all new associated gear...had a nice custom made cabinet stand with 12" counter around the front and sides so one could pull up bar stools and set down drinks. The problem is that my wife took ill with cancer, and I never got to set up a new reef. She passed away, and I decided to relocate to Central Florida with my two kids, and brought the equipment with us. It has been sitting unused for almost 7 years. We have a nice room off the pool area where the setup will reside.

This past weekend I was at Borders, and picked up the latest issues of FAMA and TFH. I am now becoming enthusiastic about finally setting up the new reef, but noticed many things have changed since I last subscribed to FAMA. I like the 'deep sand' idea as well as the Eco-Wheel. I have also been reading my old reef books, but feel that a lot of the information might perhaps be somewhat outdated.

I'll probably be posting lots of questions in the coming weeks. Thank you all for reading this.

Rey

·
Registered
658 Posts
Howdy Rey,

Welcome to TRT! :beer:

Sorry to hear about your wife... I don't know what I'd do without mine. :(

Glad to see that the reefing bug is biting you again. This place is a great way to start. You're correct in that a lot of methodology has changed since the early 90's.

Again, welcome.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Yahoo another Floridian Welcome Rey:dance: :beer: Sorry to hear about your wife. This is a great site please post any questions you have Welcome aboard buddy:) :beer:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Welcome Rey!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry to hear about your wife. Glad that you found us...You'll like it here!!!!!!

·
Ron C.
70 Posts
Hi Rey

Welcome aboard,

As you can see, I'm also relatively new to TRT - and like you, I'm back into the hobby after a layoff since the late 90's. A lot has change as I'm sure you'll see both in equipment and philosophy. This is absolutely the best place on the net for great information and great people.

Ron

·
Registered
645 Posts
Cancer is the worst scourge of man kind. My heart goes out. This is the best resource on the web for this hobby. Good luck with getting restarted.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Welcome aboard Rey!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Welcome aboard! Your gonna like it here.

Sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
welcome rey great to have you here :dance:

i echo the sorry for your loss. :(

where abouts in central florida? i have fmaily in lakeland, as well as sebring and avon park. i grew up in sebring myself.

good to have you back in the hobby. i would imagine that you are correct about a lot of the info in your books being outdated.. lots of information to be found here at trt. search on just about any topic and find usefull mature conversation about it.

feel free to ask anything you like. folks around here aren't rude and dont tell ya to look in the archives. we value everyone who comes here from the most to the least experienced :)

·
Super Moderator
27,692 Posts
Welcome to TRT, Rey! We're so glad you came here...it's a great place for info and friendship.

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. Your loss is tremendous! Hopefullly, the friends you will meet here will be a nice cushion for you :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey Rey - Welcome. I am in Plantation Fl myself. I also used to be a reefer in the early nineties and started again about 3 years ago. This is a GREAT place to use as a resource. Good Luck with the new endeavor. We look forward to your posting pictures. The "bar stool" idea sounds really cool!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Welcome to the best little reef board on the web. Sorry to hear about your loss and hope you will gain many friends and knowledge on this board. Glad you found us.

Earl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am overwhelmed by the friendly welcome and encouragement. Thanks to all of you and God bless! I look forward to my return to the hobby, and I'm sure all my questions will be answered with the best of intentions and knowledge.

Best wishes,

Rey

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
HEY REY ! WELCOME TO TRT!!!!!! :beer: :dance: :beer: :dance:
Glad to have you aboard,,,,enjoy!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
HI Rey! Welcome to TRT and I more than most can feel your loss of your wife! My wife went through hell in her battle with lung cancer and nearly lost her about five times!
August 24th of this year will be five years since her last chemo treatment! We take each day as they come and try to enjoy one another along the way!
You will find when you get your reef tank going how much of a stress release it can be! I have an 80 gallon reef and my wife has a 20 gallon mini-reef aquarium! Once again welcome and glad to have you here!
If ya need to talk to someone PM me and glad to listen!:)

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
Rey , sorry, :( overread the part about your wife:( :(
be strong, we are here if you need us (all of us;) )

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
PS: Johnny is good people,,,,;) :D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Why thank you Jeff as it takes one to know one!;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Rey,
Welcome Aboard from central Indiana...my dad's family is from the Panama City/Chipley area....tha's some awfully nice country down there!
Very sorry to hear about your wife...

Glad to hear you've fallen off the wagon and are starting back up with the reefin' addiction again...(heck...rehab is for quitters)... Best of luck.

Bob and Drew

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts