The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Nice looking corals. I believe what you have pictured is actually Trachyphyllia geoffroyi. It generally does much better when placed on a fairly fine sand bottom...their tissue is tends to get abraded and torn when placed on rocks.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice looking corals. I believe what you have pictured is actually Trachyphyllia geoffroyi. It generally does much better when placed on a fairly fine sand bottom...their tissue is tends to get abraded and torn when placed on rocks.
Looks like you are correct on the T.geoffroyi. Unfortunately, due to my rambunctious maroon clown and this species' difficulties in removing sediments (read up on it), I can't take the chance of putting it on the sand bed. I'll see what I can do about finding a cupped rock that I can put some sand in and replace it in the same area. The thing is doing great right now and I don't want to mess with it too much. It has a nicely shaped base that sits well and the rock I have it on currently is covered in smooth coralline.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Very good...just because sand placement is typical, does not mean you have to...if you are comfortable with where it is and it's doing well, by all means leave it be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts