The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been looking into new lighting and finaly decided on what kind I am going to go with for my 55. I looked into all the lights but decided that this was best for my set up. I am getting a 48" pc hood. heres a link to show what setup I am getting. I am ordering through lfs because they are giving me the best deal I could find. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3797

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the total is 260 watts plus I'll be splitting my dual light bar to add 2 more 48" 60 watt actinic bulbs. O and doug I have to go with what I need for the tank to keep it the way it is with as little trouble as possable. my power source can't handle mh lighting with all my other gizmos in the house until I upgrade my service to a 200 amp. Also The new tank I ordered will have almost everything from my 55 transplanted into it once I get it up in running by late fall.

·
Administrator
47,621 Posts
CD-518594
PowerCompact Complete Hoods (48"- 65 watt) $ 475.99

CD-518607
PowerCompact Complete Hoods (48"- 96 watt) $ 599.99
OK but on a 4 foot tank, VHO is a better way to go. The strip lite on steroids isn't neccessarily the best lighting setup re: reflector,coverage and the like. If theres a glass or plastic sheild over the bulbs heat build up can lead to premature failure. You might look to Sanjay Joshi's lighting articles, I don't recall ever reading any thing that supports the twice the lux claims of PC versus VHO. Then theres always my personal favorite, higher replacement costs and exclusive use with PC versus using a std NO output tube of the proper length in an electronic VHO balast like the ICecap or any of the cheap IC clones, no that there are cheaper eballast options, its no contest in my book. PC is great for smaller tanks but on the 4 footers it rapidly loses any advantage it had

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well doug you make a very good point and all my reading just went down the drain and I am starting over. I called my lfs and asked them to hold my order for now to I read through some more and made sure I knew what I wanted.

·
Administrator
47,621 Posts
:) I mean its your choice,SM, I just want you to get best light bang for bux

1 - 8 of 8 Posts