The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a real mess right now.. I got small concentric ring shaped organisms on a piece of rock(harboring mushroom coral) from the LFS guy. these organisms were extremely light sensitive and would withdraw at once...(when i focus them with a torch light, they retreat into the hole). Initially there were only two of them about the size of 10-15 mm in diameter. But now there are 8-10 of them... They are afraid of everything in my tank, the fishes, snails, crabs, water movement and light. But their growth and propagation at this alarming rate is bothering me.... Please help....

There is a spongy organism (light green and yellow ) on the stone harboring the leather mushroom and I suspect it to be bothering the coral... Is it a clam or something else... Could it be the reason why the coral is suddenly shrinking. Please help

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/album.php?albumid=462

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The first thing you ask about seems to be feather dusters. If I am right then they shouldn't bother anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
moilmmymn says hi!

Just wanted to say hello someplace Found google com/ncr]you guys through google Hope to contribute more soon!-moilmmymn

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Looks like some kind of sponge. It can overgrow and kill some corals.

Taking the rock out and removing it manually is your best bet. Rinse the rock to remove any small pieces before placing it back into the tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am afraid that it has gown to a size bigger than the leather coral itself... I am not sure if I can cut it off completely... Can I try propagating the leather instead..( the leather coral is not fully open right now and I think it is molting.). Can corals be propagated during molting period.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Propagating the leather will do nothing to stop the sponge growth. Unless your plan is to let it overgrow all of your rockwork, you need to remove the sponge.

Remove the rock from the tank, scrape off every bit of the sponge that you can. Sponge comes off fairly easy and the exposure to air will help kill some of it. Swish the rock in a bucket of saltwater to remove any loose pieces and put it back in the tank. The leather will be fine being out of the water for a few minutes so no need to do anything special with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts