The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
Just thought I’d introduce myself to you all, cause I think I’m going to be picking your collective brains a fair bit now that I’ve found you.
I’m in the initial stages of setting up my first reef tank and look on the picture posts here with very green eyes.
Looking forward to chatting with you all.

SeaDog
:)

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
WELCOME TO TRT SeaDog!:beer:
hope you enjoy your time here, anything you can't find in our archives, feel free to ask,got a LOT a experienced people here.
ask away!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcomes! Reading through the archives now so I don't ask too many daft questions. Be warned, I have a talent for daft questions:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
"Be warned, I have a talent for daft questions"

Hey, don't we all??. . . I know I do :D

Welcome to TRT :beer: and. . . ask away :D

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Hi There and Welcome to TRT! :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK Time for daft question number one

I purchased a 55 gal marineland instant ocean kit from Petco. (I have a feeling there are folks sighing and shaking their heads right now) I did do a bit of research before I got it but now I fear not near enough:rolleyes:
I seem to remember a sticker on the bottom of the tank saying it was tempered and not to drill holes in it. needless to say this sticker is now under sand rocks and water. I understand the reasons for this (exploding glass / wet floor / angry wife), but now I'm wondering if I can use this tank for a reef as I won't be able to drill holes to plumb in a sump.
Did I fall at the first hurdle?

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
If that's the worst then you'll be just fine.;)

There are a couple things you can do if the bottom can't be drilled. You can have the back drilled, but if you already have sand, rock and water in the tank then you're probably already past that point. Or you can use a hang on overflow box instead of drilling.

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
Welcome. I have the All Glass Aquariums (AGA) 75E model that has tempered bottom but i have 2 1" bulkheads drilled and installed on the back wall. I had a 55 before, its now the sump for the 75. I dont like that the 55 is only 12" front to back as opposed to the 18" f/b on the 75
Wider makes it easier tio arrange rock in pleasing array and still have some open sand area to play with. Oh well its all a learning exp, thats something that never stops with this hobby :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for the replies.
The tank is a "Perfecto". From what you are saying I'm guessing that it's just the bottom thats tempered, not the sides? The reason I ask is that I don't remember the sticker saying it's just the bottom.

SeaDog

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Welcome SeaDog to TRT!!

Glad to see you here and it's the best forum on the internet that you will find! Get family atmosphere here as well! Ask all the questions you desire and many willing to answer them!! Right Clint, casey, cath, 2 jeffs, Doug, Tom, Brooke, Jon, Homer, Jenn, Alice, Dick, --------well you get the picture! Again welcome and may your stay be a pleasant one!!:)

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
SeaDog said:
Many thanks for the replies.
The tank is a "Perfecto". From what you are saying I'm guessing that it's just the bottom thats tempered, not the sides? The reason I ask is that I don't remember the sticker saying it's just the bottom.

SeaDog
The sides may be tempered as well. Read this thread:
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20360
If you're not sure then I would opt for a hang on overflow.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Welcome to the TRT!!!:wavey:

if it is your first tank, then i would suggest an overflow. this will give you greater flexibility of where to put the overflow while you are learning the ins & outs of water flow.:D

hows that for a pun!

G~

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
SeaDog said:
Thanks for the welcomes! Reading through the archives now so I don't ask too many daft questions. Be warned, I have a talent for daft questions:D
Bring them on!:funny: :mad:
we ARE ready!:D

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
MontanaRocknReefer said:
Ask all the questions you desire and many willing to answer them!! Right Clint, casey, cath, 2 jeffs, Doug, Tom, Brooke, Jon, Homer, Jenn, Alice, Dick, --------well you get the picture!
Ahem,,,that's 2
Jeff's
You are one of the Smart one's too!

G

·
MontanaRocknReefer said:
Welcome SeaDog to TRT!!

Glad to see you here and it's the best forum on the internet that you will find! Get family atmosphere here as well! Ask all the questions you desire and many willing to answer them!! Right Clint, casey, cath, 2 jeffs, Doug, Tom, Brooke, Jon, Homer, Jenn, Alice, Dick, --------well you get the picture! Again welcome and may your stay be a pleasant one!!:)
they ya go speaking for me again johnny......what if i dont wanna give advice
lol im kidding of course
welcome to our home the door is always open and were here to help

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I've found my new online home:D
By the looks of it the whole tank is indeed tempered so I'll rack that up as mistake number one:rolleyes:
I already know that mistake number two was putting a couple of damsels in there (lfs advise). From what I've since read the poor wee things won't survive and they don't belong in a reef anyhoo.
So, as of now, I'm not doing anything without checking with you good folks first. I did warn you all I'm a problem child right?:p
Once again, thanks for the help and advice so far.

Steve

·
Registered
139 Posts
Awwww. . . poor dam*saels. . . you see, the problem isn't that they'll more than likely die, the problem is that they're too mean to die. It won't be easy for them, but they may survive the cycle, then when you try to add new fish they will harrass them. . . and just TRY and net them without dismantling all of your rock work. . . :D

We won't fault you for listening to your LFS, one of the first lessons most of us learned was to take everything said at the LFS with a grain of salt. . . just take your dam*sel purchase as a learning experience. . . when in doubt, hold off and get a second opinion from someone that isn't most interested in their bottom line. . .

Good luck with you dam*sels. . . I still have a fairly vicious zebra stripe dam*sel. She's been around for about 7 years (yup, from my first tank cycle). She's mean, but she's also part of the family. Of course, I also have a tomatoe clown that keeps her in line. . . Best wishes, and Good Luck. . . ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts