The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question on actinics. I had an old Coralife fixture on my last tank with actinics and when I replaced the bulbs, I really noticed a BIG difference in the brightness (Coralife bulbs to coralife bulbs). Almost blinding. I have a new fixture with my 125 and again I purchased a coralife fixture back in June of last year. Time to replace the coralife bulbs now and I bought Hamilton actinics. I replaced two of the four 96 watt bulbs and cannot tell the difference lightwise between the two (old and new). To me this seems odd based upon what I saw last time around. Does it to anyone else?

I also replaced my Coralife 250w MH 10Ks with AB 250w MH 10K. WOW what a difference. The ABs put out an equivilent of 13K.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
Ya,... I've had this happen,... BTW I prefer atinic "blue" because it's visually brighter and not as purple.

Basically it means that your old atinic bulbs probably wern't as bad as you thought. There's no telling how fast bulbs will loose their output, but I can tell you one thing for sure,... Keeping them cool makes them last much longer.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always keep the old bulbs anyway. Just in case I need them in a hurry. This fixture does stay much cooler than my old fixture did.

I'll have to look into the Actinic Blue bulbs next time around.

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This fixture has more fans, but the last one was just PC not MH. It's about as closed up as the last one though.

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking back, this one is vented on the ends where the other fixture was not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.