The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am fairly new to the hobby, and new to TRT. I have been reading the forums and have found a lot of useful info. Thanks all!

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me.

I just took delivery of some new coral from Premium Aquatics today and hav aclamated them to my tank. All specimens seem to be doing fine except a Green Star Polyp. It has shown no sign of extending any of its polyps.

Is this normal, or do I have a DOA?

Jason

·
Registered
658 Posts
GSP's are pretty moody specimens, but they are also extremely hardy. It should open up in a couple of days.

I had a bit of GSP attached to a small piece of rock that I had (unknowingly) put in my sump when rearranging the tank one night... I discovered it about a month later and put it back in the tank... it recovered in about a weeks time and is now doing very well.

HTH

·
Registered
418 Posts
This is normal! The GSP can hold their little polyps in for up to a week or even 2! I would give it a gentle blast with a NEW and for the tank only turkey baster in the tank, every day to keep cyno and stuff like that off it. If it doesn't come out after a week or so I would worry then. HTH

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was worried. It didn't seem to show any signs of life like the bubble coral that expanded almost immediately. I'll keep an eye on it.

Appreciate the advice.

Jason

G

·
if not open after 4 days move it and wait...it will open onc it is in a happy place
what type of lighting you have...where is it placed in the tank

·
Registered
340 Posts
In case noone yet:

WELCOME TO TRT!

Star polyps are pretty hardy as mentioned, give them a bit of time. I had a piece of a colony come loose and just for poops ands snickers snickers attached to the opposing side of rock from the original colony (to see if flow mattered to them)...they are all still thriving. There is a fairly recent thread about GSP, you might want to do a search for it, but be forewarned, opinions range from high-flow to low-flow, med-light to low-light.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I agree with the others. My star polyp mat occassionally will close up for a few days, and then later be extended beautifully.

Also, welcome to TRT! Glad to have you aboard!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
GSP are a moody coral so wait and have patience and they should do fine! Mine shut down for a day or so and then they are back beautiful as ever!:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice.

My tank
20g
25 lbs Fiji LR
Plenum
Skimmer
No sump or refugium
15 Watt Standard Lighting 50/50 6000k and 03 Actinic (Hoping for upgrade soon)

Jason

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
big t said:
The GSP can hold their little polyps in for up to a week or even 2!
I've had it "disappear" for a couple months when bad things happened in my system and still return to good health. If your system is in good shape, and you have proper light, they will come around.

IMO, GSP is kinda like xenia, your system either grows it like a weed or you have a heck of a time keeping it going...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts