The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently running 4 vho light but there old and want to switch to somthing new. Now here's the thing i dont want to spend a mill on huge MH fixture cause i dont have mills lol 3yr old trumps tank but anyways was looking at two lights one is AquaticLife T5 HO Aquarium Lighting and the other is Marineland Reef Capable LED Aquarium Lighting. I really like the led but dont want to spend that kind of money and cant grow crap so plz help me out

thank you

·
Hippie's Coral Commune
63 Posts
I got the marineland reef capable LED lights about a month ago and I love them everything i have has at least doubled in size since i started using them....the blue leds are beautiful at night the colors things flouresce are amazing and the daytime lights make the colors of everything better, and the shimmer you get from the lights is great I would highly recomend them they are well worth the money

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply if i keep getting good replys im getting them as well just have to make sure frist its to much money to blow and not be happy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hippie what all do you have in your tank just wondering I also have been looking into those lights as well. Sorry for hijacking but maybe my question may help you as well.

·
C'est la vie
4,118 Posts
i have the odyssea 96w t5ho from aquatraders.com on my 20g and everything has been growing rapidly since i got it! it was only 65 bucks with LED moonlights and for that price you can tgo wrong. i would at least consider it, a handful of people on here use them and love them. it doesnt get hot at all and has external ballasts for daylight and actinic so if one burns out it can be replaced easily

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
i also have the odyssea light have had for 3 months and i also love it have seen lots of growth on my softies my kenya tree has doubled and fragged itself 3 times now got on ebay

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have an aquatic life t5 ho and really like it. my corals grow like crazy and I like the built in timer. But I am actually going to be selling it because I upgraded to a larger tank and this light wont be sufficient.

·
Hippie's Coral Commune
63 Posts
@ Shalow Right now i have 4 different kinds of mushrooms, a colony of red people eaters, about 9 different colonys of zooanthids, yellow polyps,frogspawn,toadstool leather, another type of leather,pulsing xenia, 2 diff types of kenya tree, bubble coral, a few different paly colonies, glove polyps, and pagoda cup coral...also in the tank I have 1 pair perc clowns, 1 pair black saddleback clowns, 1 brittle star, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 bubble tip anemone, 1 sebae anemone, 1 condylactis anemone, 1 white pincushin urchin numerous feather dusters 2 turbo snails, 25 red legged hermit crabs, 25 blue legged hermit crabs and about 5 other diff species of snails too numerous to count Going to start looking into sps corals soon
:flowerplus:~Hippie~:flowerplus:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sounds vary nice, I was hoping that the LEDS would work for sps's, and clams. Think I am going to give it a try anyways. Thanks keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The marineland LEDs are ok for softies I would not buy those to keep sps or clams; they also have very poor coverage. The Aquatic Life bulbs are junk so switch them out if you go with those.

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
The marineland LEDs are ok for softies I would not buy those to keep sps or clams; they also have very poor coverage. The Aquatic Life bulbs are junk so switch them out if you go with those.
One of my LFS is keeping several Rose nem's in a 75 gal under one of these 48" fixtures. I have talked to them extensively about how the nem's are doing and I look at them every time I go in. They honestly seem to be losing their coloring, although for the most part they still look healthy, they just don't display the same colorations they did under MH lighting, and the owner admits this also, he isn't sold that these fixtures are adequate for any reef...

At a different LFS they have a 36" fixture on their front counter with a big sign that says, "Don't be fooled by these lights!"

Sounds vary nice, I was hoping that the LEDS would work for sps's, and clams. Think I am going to give it a try anyways. Thanks keep on keeping on.
If SPS and Clams are your ultimate goal, then you should be looking into a serious T5HO fixture with individual reflectors or MH's.

·
Registered
148 Posts
At a different LFS they have a 36" fixture on their front counter with a big sign that says, "Don't be fooled by these lights!"
:lol:

I tried to quote that but I can't figure out how to what am I missing
:lol:

·
I got Crabs
1,458 Posts

I have used the aquatic life th50 fixture, and loved em for the simple fact that you can expand as need be and daisy chain.. so you can start with a 2 bulb setup then add 2 more later.. and so on.. this may be an option since money could be tight...just make sure it say
"Two or three fixtures can be linked to together to create a 4 lamp or 6 lamp 24" T5 fixture. Linking hardware is included "

+1 on raskel... dump the bulbs and replace right away...
+1 again on the marineland leds and what you can keep under them.

what size tank btw?

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
i also have the 24'' t5ho 4 bulb fixture from Aquatraders.com and im very happy with it so far. for only 65 bucks you really cant go wrong. will be replacing bulbs with ati bulbs in the future tho.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts