The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a couple questions that show how clueless I am to some of this. I've read and been told that you want at least 4 to 5 watts per gallon. I'm putting together my 60 gallon and see that one of the most common PC lights are the 48" 4x65w, 2 daylight and 2 actinic. Do I run all 4 lights at the same time? It would seem I have to to adhere to the 4 watt per gallon rule. I really need some lighting schedule info. Are lunar LED's a must?
Any help is great.
J

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Ok first off Lunar lights are for your viewing only they really dont do anything for the tank.

The rule of so many watts per gallon is not the same anymore. It is more based on how deep is your tank and what do you plan on keeping (soft corals or sps or lps or a mixture)

So with that in mind how deep is your 60 gallon tank and what do you plan on keeping.

Tim

·
Registered
176 Posts
Tim224DT said:
Ok first off Lunar lights are for your viewing only they really dont do anything for the tank.

The rule of so many watts per gallon is not the same anymore. It is more based on how deep is your tank and what do you plan on keeping (soft corals or sps or lps or a mixture)

So with that in mind how deep is your 60 gallon tank and what do you plan on keeping.

Tim
Tank depth matters to a point...but Par is the big one right now... This is the reason T-5's vs metal halide has become such a huge debate. T-5's are suppose to have the around or close to the same par as metal halides at the same depths...

So that is really what needs to be looked at...I am biased to halides. but I think if some one does not know the route they want to go t-5's are the best way to go, they are not much more for a retrofit kit and offer better lighting then anyother option out there with the exception of halides.

I would go the route of T-5 if you are unsure of the route you want to go.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That particular fixture you mention should be good to keep from Zoantoids to most leather coral, mushrooms, xenia and some of the other not so light dependent coral.
I agree with Tim, the lunar are nice to have but not indespensable for the coral. You can simulate dusk and dawn with the lights if there are two separete switches (turning 2 blue actinics on first, then the 10,000k), if not you will run all 4 bulbs at the same time.
Do not be shy about asking questions, we are all here to help each other.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning on soft corals only. The tank is pretty standard at 48" long and 16" tall.
I've read about some folks running their actinics two hours before and after their daylights. Do they turn off their actinics when the daylights come on, or juas add the daylights to the already running actinics?
I'm looking at PC.
J

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm trying to avoid MH due to cost and chiller possiblity. Are T-5's regular flourescent? Remember, I'm ultra new so you have to dumb it down for me a little.
Thanks
J

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
I would recommend VHO lighting for a 4' tank, they put out more light per watt than any of the other systems. PC's are best for applications under 2 feet.

When a dawn and dusk system is used, you first turn on actinic bulbs, then turn on your daylights however long after you want -- leaving your actinics on, then swithch off the daylights, and finally turn off the actinics.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
tsoperator said:
I'm trying to avoid MH due to cost and chiller possiblity. Are T-5's regular flourescent? Remember, I'm ultra new so you have to dumb it down for me a little.
Thanks
J
T5 lights are a flourescent bulb. You want the T5ho lights just so you know. I personally run t5s on my tank, and I love them. They put out way less heat than MH and put out more light in my opinion. You can find some really good deals if you do a search for T5 lights on Ebay.com

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't even think of Ebay. Are T5's a standard wattage or do they differ? If they differ, what wattage do I need.
J

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
tsoperator said:
I didn't even think of Ebay. Are T5's a standard wattage or do they differ? If they differ, what wattage do I need.
J
since your tank is 48" you will be looking for 48" fixtures that put off 54 watts per light. so if it is 2 lights in the pficture, then it will be 108 watts.
I currently run 6 lights on my tank and love it. I think a good starting point would be a tek t5 4 light fixture. They in the 225 area on ebay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts