The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just found this cool place and I would like to ask a couple of simple questions. I am going to buy a reef tank soon. My first question is: Do I have to have a wet/dry filter system or canI use just an Eheim canister type and Has anyone bought livestock or liverock over the internet from place like www.aquacon.com ?

the name con, sounds fishy
:p :p , they seem to have reasonable deals on live rock and live sand. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
R33f3r welcome to The Reef Tank, I hope we can help you out along the way. Canister filters are really not perfered by Reef tank keepers, They tend to only house areobic bacteria ans thus will only process yoiu ammonia down to nitrate and then release the nitrate inot the water. For fish only tanks they are ok but most corals cant live in it. If you go with Live rock it will give you all the filtration you need.
On the aquacon question, I personally have not dealt with them but from what I have seen over the years they dont really have a great reputation. I would suggest doing a few searches and what you find should answer that question for yourself.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Canisters and wet/drys are hot beds for building nitrates. Your live rock will be your biological filter. So just get some good water flow and a you should be set. Of course theres much more than that. Your in the right place to start learning. Just read everything you can here and you will be on your way! Welcome aboard!

Scott

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Hi and welcome to The Reef Tank!

The first and best advice I can give you is to take your time, gather your equipment and research as much as you can.

No, you don't need a wet/dry. In fact, if you're planning a reef, the wet/dry system is not recommended anymore. Filtration in general is accomplished through live rock and live sand, and mechanical filtration is optional. (So you really don't need either.)

I personally haven't shopped at aquacon, so I don't know much about them. There are a great many reputable vendors online, though. Live rock and lights are your biggest purchases, so dig around for as many options as you can find. (and even with something as simple as rock, you have a lot of choices: cured, raw, how much, where from, etc.)

Live sand is best procured by buying dry sand (sugar-sized aragonite is best) and seeding it with a cup or two of sand from a well established tank.

Any plans for what you'd like to keep? And do you have a timeline? (Realize that you won't be able to put any livestock in for about a month while the tank cycles.)

Welcome to the insanity, and bid farewell to your checkbook!
Danielle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the quick replies. Where can I read about sumps and overflow? I am still not sure about the overflow filtration.

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
You mean up from the sump? (Oh, and a sump is optional.) A pump, internal or external.

Check the archives here, or just run a search. There's a ton of info on the board.

Good luck,
Danielle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mrs Smith said:
Hi and welcome to The Reef Tank!

Any plans for what you'd like to keep? And do you have a timeline? (Realize that you won't be able to put any livestock in for about a month while the tank cycles.)

Welcome to the insanity, and bid farewell to your checkbook!
Danielle
Hi Mrs. Smith, I am going to get a 58 gallon tank and have it stocked with mostly live rock a few coral, anemone, some clams and other little shrimps and cleaners. For fish I want some kind of pygmy angel, maroon clowns and maybe some other little reef freindly fish. I am new at this so I have alot to read :)

I don't have many Fish stores here in this town so I only have to buy online.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mrs Smith said:
You mean up from the sump? (Oh, and a sump is optional.) A pump, internal or external.

Check the archives here, or just run a search. There's a ton of info on the board.

Good luck,
Danielle
So if I don't use a sump how does the overflow basically work?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
If you dont have a sump or rrefugium you dont really need overflows. If you tank has them you can cap them for use later if and when you decide to use them. For research we have a good library on almaost all subjects reef in our archieve and links section, you can access them through the forums page.

good luck

Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
the best price that I have herd for live rock is at WWW.HIROCK.Com I have herd quite a few good things about them at this site and have yet to see a better price then them. Although what I view at there site isnt accually "Live Rock" but if seeded with some quality live rock you wont be able to tell the differance

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
R33f3r said:
Also, where is some info I can read on cycling the tank? Thanks.
Welcome to the TRT!!

time, time, time. that is all that is necessary to cycle the tank, but if you want to help it along use LR. LR is the best thing to use to cycle the tank. just but in as much as you can afford, and let is sit for 2 months with nothing else in it, then the tank would be well on its way to being mature. this is prolly the hardest thing to tell people when starting out. it takes a long time for a reef tank to get settling and going. the faster you try and rush things the more problems you will come across.

Welcome again.

G~

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I was reading some other places and they were saying to use damsels. Then others were saying that once they are in they are in, they are too hard to catch. Also, since I have come to the conclusion of NOT buying a sump setup right now, I need to know what kind of protein skimmer I will need. I am not a diy person, :(

I am going to have a power filter added with some carbon for water clarity.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
damsels are riduculously difficult to catch once they are in the tank. plus it is kinda cruel to cycle tanks with fish in them. the ammonia does some nasty things to their sensitive gills.

a lot of people like the ramora HO skimmers. there are also a lot of people using the bak pak skimmers by CPR. if your bioload is low you can get away with just the skimmer and some powerheads.

your big problem will come with the lighting. if you want clams then you will need some serious light. i suggest MH's. do you know what the dimensions of the tank are? is it a hex? if it is then you may need to go with a 250w to get good coverage in the tank.

HTH,

G~

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
r33f3r

Go over to reef central and chek the vendor feedback an aquacon. If I remember right there was a LOT of negative feedback on the company. I have not ordered from them but with the feedback that they got I would not order from them.
I have used marine depot for live stock and dry goods and have had great results on both orders.

Just my .02 good luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.