The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I received these two frags from Stoneyreef(Patrick) and they are really nice! First is a monti frag and the second is an orange cap. First pic is a little blurred. Pic taking is really not my speciality. Probably got the names wrong!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
So this is what I have to look forward to from stoney eh?

BTW, you are blessed to be recieving my 500th post on your thread!

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
Hey Johnney,
Is the orange cap mounted? If not you might want to wedge it in a crack and use a little epoxy stick to hold it in place. Snails can knock it over real easy. Make sure you give it lots of room because they grow pretty big real quick!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ReefDave and RWD for the compliments!

RWD I have wedged the orange cap in a crevice so hopefully it will stay there and grow the way I want it too!:)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not much color in the cap yet but hopefully it will once it gets acclimated!!:)

·
Registered
354 Posts
:D As always Johnny... beautiful stuff. I wish I was your neighbor !

·
Registered
398 Posts
Dave, I had a really tiny styrofoam box, enough to fit two small frags in, so johnny and i did a lil experiment and sent it 2 day priority mail.

I will be more than happy to send you some purple digitata, and so forth once your tank is cycled, but they should get to you a mere 400 miles away, overnight!

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
OOOPS!!! That is a close up of my cream/white acro with the blue corrallites!!!! I am sending buzz that frag!!! the coral is creamy white with all the blue highlights, wish i had a good pic of the mother colony but it is toooo far back in the tank to get a good one! One of the most amazing corals i have ever seen, here is a another one that is totally baby blue, however they grow so tightly packed that it is very hard to frag!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
and finally a pic of the purple digi,

I have to keep thinning out the shading branches, as when the shaded parts turn brown, but the parts that get full light are a brilliant violet!

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Pat,
I can't wait, everytime I hear you talk about sending frags to Johnny or Buzz, i get excited. Can't wait till the cycle is over, and I can start shipping all you folks shipping money to get this sucker stocked. Heck at the rate I am going I will have 100% captive fragged corals in this tank...

BTW All those are gorgeous.
Johnny keep us updated on the color of that Cap, that is one of the corals im looking forward to getting the most, and I want to know exactly what happens with it...pics pics pics....don't make me un-bury this thread in a week to ask you how it is, we need more frequent updates than that.

Dave

·
Registered
799 Posts
Lovely Purple Digi; if you've got spare frags to send ... I'd happily send something in return [just prop'ed a small army-green digi ... or could send a piece of the aqua colored Acro that has been slowly loosing color in my tank [need more lights I guess].

If not, just happy as a clam to see these trades go on. My favorite part of reefing :)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Stoney! The cap frag was a very light brown so do you think it's a goner? Was it suppose to be a orange color? I will keep it in the tank a few days and see what happens! It still slimes when I touch it so is that a good sign?

Hey Dave! I will keep you updated on the cap!:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
For a man that has a mini vacation right now!!!! . . . .GO BACK TO BED!!!!! Some of us are just heading for work!

If it slimes, it is alive, which is good, and that is not an orange cap, that is the dijon mustard brown with purple rim cap. The digitata was the orange one. Under 10k that digi will be brilliant orange, under 65k it is almost blaze orange, under 20k it is a dark dark orange/brown. once that thing takes off, it grows very very very fast!

·
Registered
398 Posts
mangomark

Your a couple of weeks late, I moved all my corals and did a tank tear down and pretty much fragged everything out. I am just giving away what is left or has grown enough to get some small frags of. That cap I gave johnny was originally the size of a dinner plate!!!!! I ended up throwing out about 10 quarter size frags. I have one more frag of purple digi, but that is having issues of with red slime in the babysitters tank. So we are nuking that this weekend.

In about 3 more months god willing and red slime gone, I should be able to frag the colonies again. I can usually get a pretty good frag every three months, as I take them off the back sides, so the front never changes, also this ensures that the colony keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger!

I have this amazing true blue colony from the marshall islands, I had the side cutters positioned to snip a frag for Buzz_hog, and I just could not do it. I did not want to risk that colony! i grew that one from a 1" frag that i found in a suppliers tank. That frag was totally brown with a hint of blue at the tip. The thing is, since it moved from radiums to 10k to 65k through a lighting change and a different tank, it has not changed color!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Stoney -

Well, thanks for the update. Keep me in mind for the next fragging, both the purple and blue are pretty much the only corals on my `must have' list. Something about those Monti's I just love [never mind their growth rates :)]

Thanks for the response though, it's much appreciated [even if impossible].

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Patrick for the info!! Hopefully it will color up some now that I know it has a chance!! I have it pretty close to the surface of the water under a 250ww 10,000k light so we will see!!:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts