The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought the tank brand new and got the skimmer that fits it. I figured new tank... New thread. It is in the tub getting a bath now then I am going to fill it today. So I could use some advice for that part... I have an established tank already running but it started as a reef in a jug project that made it up to a Frankenstein DIY hodge podge ugly biocube. That will be retired to the bone yard but how do I make the smoothest transition? I was just going to mix fresh saltwater then move the filter media then the rocks and call it good and enjoy... will that be too abrupt? Should I use some old water (its kinda gross)? I can't find my reef master test kit since I am just moving so only guessing my parameters are off. The old tank has been at the brother in laws for the last year with no more maintenance that toping off the water. The fish is gone and I can't tell if there are any coral under the blanket of cyno but there are still tons of stuff alive. Someone please advise in a hurry lol.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,381 Posts
Hey Shamas! I'd go the new water route myself, and not add any of the old. No real benefit to it. How bad does your 'live rock' look.....lots of algae, aptahsia, ect? If not, you could put the rocks in there and let THAT help your 'cycle'.
Hack

·
15,381 Posts
But to play it safe if your rocks aren't covered in life, I'd throw a table shrimp in there and let it decay away.
Hack

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply hack. I figured the same thing since there is even a film across the surface of the water. There is coraline algae both pink and purple there are 3 aptatia but it has been the same ones since the hitch hikers only tank like 2 years ago I still have a bunch of huge bristle worms a huge turbo snail a hermit few small snails a bunch of those little starfish that have like 7 legs stay small and are everywhere plus I am sure the red light gang is still running the ghetto after dark lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I have decided to mix fresh saltwater and just flop everything over since the new tank is going where the old tank is at now and there isn't sand. I will probably let the tank run for an hour after I put all the old filter media in before I put the rocks in. Other than that I will do this tank transfer like a teenager... I want it NOW no cycling lol. Honestly I think the longer I drag this out the worse off the ecosystem will be. Everything has been horribly neglected but hitch hikers are notoriously resilient hence all the hitch hiker horror stories lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Considering it started as a tulip vase for an old thread on here and turned into this plus it was pretty much abandoned for over a year I guess it was kinda neat

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Since you have no fish I see no problem with just moving it over. Corals and a few invertebrates won’t br to high a bio load for the rock you have.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't find any corals left alive... any suggestions on what will thrive under 14000k that isn't to aggressive as to fit in a 13.5 gal... oh and for those who don't know me I have 5 kids so I have to stay SUPER cheap. And also I don't know too much about coral yet so any advice about feeding and other husbandry would help alot. Trust I would do my research regardless but its still nice to have an idea first.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm... soft lps sps I have no idea yet. I have only had soft before. Like I asked what can live under 14000k? Can I mix it up so I have texture color and motion? I was thinking GSP and pulsing xenia to cover the bare bottom and back

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And since it is such a small tank what should I avoid? I worry about sweeper tenticals and feeding and such because I don't know enough and there is so much to learn. I guess I am asking for ideas to narrow my scope of research...

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
For sps bird’s nest is fairly easy. I would have to get on my computer to look for others.
I had an lps, Caribbean rose coral. At a period in their life they live on rock then bail out of their skeleton and find a place on the ground and grow a new skeleton. Unfortunately after mine bailed something ate it. You can only get them from live rock mari culturers though.

·
15,381 Posts
Hey Pal! With 14,000 K lighting you're pretty much good to go with anything you want to keep. In a 13.5 gal. tank, I'd be careful what I wish for......doesn't take long for invasive species, such as GSP's or Xenias to have their way with your tank. Think I'd do some web surfing, perhaps our gallery on here, and see what gives you the warm fuzzies......it's tougher keeping a mix of coral types happy as opposed to a single type.

THAT being said, if you want Kenya Trees, GSP's, or Common Mushrooms I can help. ALL 3 if they like your system can really, QUICKLY make their selves right at home.
20210307_132900_resized.jpg

20210111_163644_resized.jpg
Hack

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh man hack your softies would be awesome mushrooms have always been a favorite of mine! So much variation in color and texture. They are hard to find cheap out here in Missouri. The greens and burgundy are going for $30 per head! And better have $75 each for ricordia!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts