Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh and I just had to pick up this Passer while I was in the store today:D

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice fish. Obviously, you didnt quarentine it. Whats your secret for keeping ich at bay? I was just wondering.

Thanks,
Nicole

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
9fishers said:
Nice fish. Obviously, you didnt quarentine it. Whats your secret for keeping ich at bay? I was just wondering.

Thanks,
Nicole
No real trick i use uv sterilizers,ozone and lots of garlic soaked foods and Selcon and hope for the best.:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hmmmm....I wish it was that easy for me. I have a UV ster. and I do the garlic, Zoe, and Zoecon. I dont know what ozone and Selcon are, though. I still get ich.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
9fishers said:
Hmmmm....I wish it was that easy for me. I have a UV ster. and I do the garlic, Zoe, and Zoecon. I dont know what ozone and Selcon are, though. I still get ich.
Well I get ich to but most of the time they get over it,Selcon is a vitamins,ozone is something some people hate others like it sterilizes the water and anything that goes through it,just another form of filtration you have to be careful with it or it can kill fish to,best advice is try to make everything temp etc stable and not stress the fish:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hmm i don't quarintine nor do any of the things any of you stated and I have to date never had trouble with ich. I have treatment supplies and a quarintine tank just incase but I have never had it happen yet. I don't do a thing with my fich, inverts, and so on other than acclimate to temp. after that I just dump them on in.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Nice fish, Casey!

I've hardly ever quarantined fish at home either, but I also had the luxury of having the fish on hold at the LFS where I worked part time so that I could observe it closely, and it's tankmates, for a couple of weeks.

Avoiding ich when you don't quarantine is a crap shoot, we all know that, and really, ich is the disease I worry about the least when introduing new things into the tank. Ich is a total pain, but it pales beside Vibrio, Velvet or Brooklynella.

At any rate, making sure your tank is in top quality condition, picking a healthy fish to begin with-one that does not seem stressed in the LFS tank but is still very active and eating-acclimating them properly to your tank, reducing stress at introduction (turning the lights off, feeding the other fish and maybe rearranging the tank a little bit to keep your present inhabitants from attacking the newcomer) all help to keep your new fish healthy. As well as a big ol' UV and a healthy diet. :)

Alice

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks the reefer and welcome to the great TRT:)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes they are Bill but Im not adding anymore fish just a lion maybe
and right now my yellow tang is kicken the passers butt:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts