The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:beer:

Ever since before we got started in the hobby, my husband has loved the niger trigger (odonus niger). There was this petstore in Colorado that had one in their display, it must have been a foot long. it had the cool red fangs and everything. Once we got started in saltwater, we toyed with the idea of having one. Well, we DID have one for a short time, it was about 2 inches long, but we ended up going reef and trading it in after a few months. He was alright, but kind of tiny and shy and mean to the other (timid) fish we were keeping at the time.

Well, recently I transformed my freshwater 37 gallon to saltwater. That lasted about a month and I decided I just didnt want to have a second tank. not to mention that I just dont care for the height of this tank (very hard to get into to do water changes, aquascape, add anything to, you get the picture.) So, I began the preps to tear down the tank, beginning with selling the livestock. I got rid of my maroon clown and coral banded shrimp. Since I am setting up a nano, I was at the fish store.....(you already know where this is going)....and they had this trigger, and when I saw him I fell in LOVE!!!!!! :agree: :nuts:

He is simply gorgeous!!!! PERFECT color, intact fins and tail lobes, active and outgoing.....so, I called my husband and asked him if he was ready to make the leap in to triggerdom. (i.e. my excuse to get him to help with water changes and feeding!) ;)

He said yes so here we are! I am putting the 37 gallon up for sale and going to do a (second) 55 gallon. Am going to keep the damsel, neon dottyback, and bicolor blenny, and get rid of the choc chip starfish (so he doesnt become lunch or eat coral) and add mushrooms and other softy frags from my other tank. Anyways you didnt need the full length version but you got it anyways. On with the pics! I am so stoked!

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Very nice! I've got a niger trigger as well, definately my favorite fish as well! How big is that one? Looks quite large by the pictures!

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, see I told you he was hot ;)

from his nose to the tips of his tail lobes, about 6". The recommended tank is 75 gallon for fully grown, so 55 should hold him for a couple years.

incidentally, by my son's calculations, the water tested out fine.... :clown:

Attachments

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks. and I know y'all are super-jealous of my damsel too, right? :rolleyes:

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
(tims, you know you want him) :freak:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
<<< from his nose to the tips of his tail lobes, about 6". The recommended tank is 75 gallon for fully grown, so 55 should hold him for a couple years. >>>

I would say a 55g is far too small to properly keep any large triggers. I wouldn't go anything less than a 125L for a 6" trigger and preferably even bigger. Also not sure who said a 75g is the recommended tank size for any large adult trigger, but I would disagree with that too :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts