The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i couldnt resist, and my tank has a new inhabitant, a lawnmower blenny.

we went to a different fish store today to have a look at some of their stock and they usually run a "25% off SW fish" deal. the big guy caught our eye, but we held off and did some research on them. we liked what we saw so scooted on back and picked him up before anyone else did:D

when we put him in the tank he darted behind our LR, boy can they move!!! i dont even think the clowns or chromis's knew what happened, just a little splash, and gone! hes come out front now, and is sitting under a small overhang, checking things out.
he seems to be a great addition to our tank:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant wait to see his antics, hes about the same size as yours, but compared to our currrent inhabitants, hes big

·
Registered
658 Posts
Glad to see you're checking other LFS' after your bad experiences at the other one. You're going to like the Lawnmower a lot... he's one of my favorite fish.
Mine always starts out skinny in the morning, and by evening he looks like his stomach is going to explode.
They're great hair algae eaters, and mine has an appetite for diatoms too (thank goodness). I'm always finding little kiss marks on the glass where he's been pecking at the algae before I get a chance to scrub it. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, we had enough of the other lady, the store were using right now is a little more expensive but they have great promotions usually and alot more informative staff

·
Registered
479 Posts
That was one of the best algae eating fish i ever had. Had him for about a little over 2 years, until a mantis came along and split his head open....... He paid though..... with the ice pick. I felt like a serial killer after that.. Bad experience...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have mine for 3 years. Oh.. boy, when i first get him, he's only 1 1/2" long. Right now, he's 3" and fat like a pig. Man.. his stomach... he's pregnant :D :D :D
Lawnmower is very hard and characteristic. He's like to sitting on rocks and gazing for algae. Sometimes, he's changes color too. I like him alot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, ours is hiding right now changed a darker color to camoflage himself uner a rock overhang

does anyone know if they eat flake??

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Lawnmower blennies are awsome fish. Ours eats every kind of flake that we put in the tank. How can you not love a fish with eyebrows!!! Ours is named Sam!

Andrew:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i love my new fish!!!!!!!!
seems shy right now, toward me being near the tank. i went to look for him and couldnt find him, then just out of the corner of my eye i saw movement, he was purple like the coraline algae!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hes so cool!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im glad to hear that, hes not comming to the surface at chow time and i want to make sure he wont starve.

would he eat nori???

·
Registered
945 Posts
Mine is a character he reminds me of the creatures from Dr Seuss
The cat in the hat .........and other ones.........everyone loves him
mine eats anything and everything..................he is a pig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.