The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was talking about I wanted a Convict Tang for a long time.
I finally got one. I finally made my first online prchase of live fish.
I used a very well known company. I recieved my fish and inverts wednesday very quickly. Well cleaner shrimp was DOA. But That has already been resolved and I will be recieving mey refund soon

My convict tang wasnt lookning good wednesday night. It was floating upside down and swimming upside down. Then it layed on its side and was letting snails and reef scarlet crabs crawl on it.
I thought it was a gonner. (drip acclimated for 2 hours)

Well the next day it had bounced back and was swimming around like a new man. well fish. So this is when I really had a good chance to look at him.

He is SKINNY. very very SKINNY anorexic. I can see his skull and spine!!!!
He hasnt eatin since I got him. I havent seen him even peck at rocks I was thinking internal parasites.
1)Is there any medicine that can be added to the water of a quarantine tank to get rid of internal parasites?

2)If he starts eating is there any oral/food medicine that I can give him in the display tank that is reef compatible? (other than garlic or selcom)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
sorry to hear about that there such cool fish
i hade the same thing happen to a clown tang and i dont think you can treat the parasite unless you know exactly what kind of internal parasite

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I've heard that they are collected poorly. While rather hardy tangs, they seem to be rather roughed-up during the collecting/shipping process.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well Day 4 and no eating.
I put everything but the kitchen sink in their trying to get him to eat.
I did see him peck at a couple rocks and at the sand bed a few times.:bawling:
he seems to be more active at night when the lights go off(dont think he is nocturnal) And he still has energy to tussel with the powder brown every once an a while.
well Ill keep you posted

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Soak some nori in garlic and call the online company now. If you tell them the poor condition you received it in, they will often extend their warranty based upon their mission to ship healthy fish (I assume I know who you got it from) and they are a great company to deal with.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soak some nori in garlic and call the online company now. If you tell them the poor condition you received it in, they will often extend their warranty based upon their mission to ship healthy fish (I assume I know who you got it from) and they are a great company to deal with.
thanks ima try it because he just DIED

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
New 16g BioCube Gen 3, April 2021... back at the habit!
445 Posts
Keep us posted! I'm so sorry to hear that you lost him - even if you do get a refund, it still always makes you feel bad.
I had never really seen one before your pic - what a cool looking fish! I hope you have better luck on Take 2!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yessss
Better this time so far. AT least I got one that is healthy and eating. He it was getting bullied by the powder brown but a nicely placed mirror took care of that.
keeping my finger crosed

Attachments

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
well thats good to hear that you got a good one
there such plane fish but i think there one of the better looking fish out there

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
u are right they ar not very colorful but they do provide a dramatic contrast. But boy is he hard to find @ night. He is almost the same color as the substrate

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
New 16g BioCube Gen 3, April 2021... back at the habit!
445 Posts
I'm thinking that they should rename him from the "convict tang" to the "grilled tang"!!! :)
This one looks a lot healthier... good luck! Keep us updated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts