The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
World Famous Coral!!! ~AO
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, we got back from Florida this morning around 4:30am and I just got home from puttting out everything! It was well worth it though! We toured a rather large Aquaculture facility of Clownfish, corals, and liverock, and no it's not ORA. As a matter of fact these people normally don't sell directly to fishstores. They sell to distributers but they've decided to sell to us which really cool!!! We toured greenhouse after greenhouse and learned some really valuable things about farming in greenhouses and setting them up which will help us tremendously when we get to that point. Then we toured two marine-only wholesalers that opened up their ginormous warehouses just for us (Bruce and Susie from Sea Critter's Depot in N. Myrtle and Monica and I). Bruce has lifelong ties to to these people, which helps alot, as he is originally from Florida.... The wholesaler that we got most of our fish from actually goes out and collects 3000 gallons of natural seawater weekly for his facility! His fish are the healthiest of any wholesalers we've seen and that includes popular wholesalers from the west coast! That's where I got the POOP stung out of me by a beautiful basketball sized purple ritteri anemone I bought. You can always tell when people really enjoy what they do.... To see these operations in person was awesome! Unfortunately there are no pics because I don't think they wanted us taking a bunch of pics of their facilities and all their projects they are working on.... Definitely got my wheels turning and gave me valuable new ideas that we will be implementing in the near future. But anyway, I guess I could go on all day, lol!

Here is a list of what we got to cherry pick and bag ourselves! (Stop by or call for prices....

Black Tang from Xmas Island (small and FAT!) these are the pricey
but nice ones....
Sm Chevron Tang.....this one still has all of it's vibrant colors. And YES,
that is a bigger Chevron in our 180g. They change
color and stripe pattern as they mature. This can
be further researched in Scott Micheal's pocket
identification guides.... Fantastic algae eaters!
Fat Powder Brown Tang
" Powder Blues
Bicolor angels
Flameback Angels (Africa)
Passer Angel (This one had the BEST orange coloration we saw)
Squamipinnis Anthias (Africa)
Algae Blennies (ofcourse...)
Bicolor Blennies (I personally handpicked the prettiest)
Canary Blennies
Citron Clown Gobies(HUGE!)
Green Clown Gobies (HUGE!)
Golden Head Sleeper Gobies (for those who like sandsifters)
Spotted Mandarins
Raccoon Butterflys
Zebra Moray (these are normally safe with small fish as they
naturally eat only crustaceans, i.e. shrimp, crabs....)
Radiata Lion
Blue & Gold Line Rabbitfish (great for eating hair algae)
Md Yellow Tangs
1 SHOW SIZE Yellow Tang
Huma Huma Triggers
Jewel Leopard Wrasse (STUNNING!)
Exquisite Wrasse (African Beauty!)
Sixline Wrasses
Twin-spot Wrasse
Longnose Hawks
Yellow headed Pearly JAWFISH
HUGE Long Tentacle Anemones
EVEN LARGER Purple Ritteri
Sebae Anemones
Sea Hares (Algae Destroyers)
Red/orange Fiddler Crabs (Very cool, especially for tidal systems)
Chocolate Chip Stars
Sm Captive bred Clowns
PEPPERMINT SHRIMP
Flower/Rock Anemones (these normally stay put)
Sea Cucumbers (dirty sand is consumed in one end and clean sand
expelled out the other end in bright white little tic-tac
sized mounds. Great for mopping up detritus!)
Encrusting Gorgonians
Walking Batfish (Very Odd looking Creature!)
JUMBO Seahorses (BIG and Fat!)
Various soft corals

I think that's it....:nuts:

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Woops forget one...and some really beautiful Radiant Wrasses! I talked with Julian Sprung at the trade show and he favored these and other members of their genus for eating flatworms but I got them because they're so colorful (as we don't have a need for them ;) ) Btw, his product "Revive" coral cleaner dip kills red bugs, flatworms nudibranches, etc. which we will now be carrying in stock once my order gets here....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
will the radiant wrasse get along w a yellow coris wrasse and a mystery wrasse? how much will they be going for? ive been hunting one for awhile.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
got anything that will eat a little red slime? I've got a light dusting starting on one of my rocks and the sand around it. I thought my scarlet hermits would eat the stuff, but they haven't touched it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
im interested in some corals. and some other things you have listed. i'd call but i don't have your number obviously. if u can message me with it and when a good time to call is. thanks!

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will the radiant wrasse get along w a yellow coris wrasse and a mystery wrasse? how much will they be going for? ive been hunting one for awhile.
They had them in with exquisite wrasses and baby red coris wrasses so I don't see why not. Price list is at store but ALL our new arrivals are, as always, 30% the first week we have them so that your wallet will be pleased. I've got three and they are beautiful! I wish I'd gotten more but the supplier always stocks them so I can always order more when needed. I just like the way his system looked that he had them in. He had probably 40 in one tank together and it was hypnotic! Btw, this guy gets in some of the best Crosshatch triggers I've ever seen!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Chuck... I'm looking for a Canary Wrasse...AKA Yellow Coris Wrasse... you got any... the Nudis are back BTW...

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
got anything that will eat a little red slime? I've got a light dusting starting on one of my rocks and the sand around it. I thought my scarlet hermits would eat the stuff, but they haven't touched it.
Tracy you ultimately would be better off nipping the problem in the bud as it will continue to come back. I usually recommend wet skimming (mellow yellow colored), iron based phosphate remover, and carbon (tablespoon /10 gallons changed out every month), and big weekly waterchanges (but you've been doing that in the past). We have these black snails that supposedly eat it but I can't attest to it as I haven't put them to the test yet.... I've personally used chemi-clean on over 100 reef tanks and never had a problem (and yes it's safe with clams). I have a formula that I use though that differentiates some from their directions. But once again, it'll usually come back if the source isn't cut out.

im interested in some corals. and some other things you have listed. i'd call but i don't have your number obviously. if u can message me with it and when a good time to call is. thanks!
864-288-1191... Anytime during biz hours. Tomorrow we are open from 12-7pm.

Why don't I live closer!? That rabbitfish sounds very cool.
They are my favorites in terms of color. They look their best IMO under 20K mh's. I use to have a big one in the sps system before the fire :( He was beautiful. Now I have a Magnificient Foxface in there which I've grown quite fond of!

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chuck... I'm looking for a Canary Wrasse...AKA Yellow Coris Wrasse... you got any... the Nudis are back BTW...
Nah sorry no Canary Wrasses this week. I did have some but they got sold early on. That's weird that you got nudis. I'm still free of them. Here's a secret that nobody has caught onto yet, I don't think. Peppermint shrimp dessimate them! They eat'em up like little sushi rolls, lol! I had read that camel shrimp would eat them but I don't really like the idea of camel shrimp. I figured peppermints being the same genus would work and I had some aptasia anyway so I said what the heck. I threw 50 in my system and it took about a week and they were gone, along with the aptasias of course (this works better if system is fed very lightly, if any)! They even ate the egg masses!!! IMO, this is absolutely, hands down, the best bio-control for those little *******s!!! After, the massacred them, I waited about a month and then took a small water bottle and made a simple minnow trap, added a few stones inside along with some krill, and they literally marched in it and couldn't get back out. I had caught 30ish in less than 10 minutes!!! They are now earning their keep in my 180, lol. btw, my sps vat is 120 gallons.... I got 100 peppermints in this week as well ;) They always go quick no matter how many I get in....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
im going to try to get in there tomorrow as well to see. are you pretty sure your customer will part w/ the hippo tang or wants to chuck. id like to look into that as well. good to know you can get one when needed. i tried to special order one before and couldnt get it!

·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im going to try to get in there tomorrow as well to see. are you pretty sure your customer will part w/ the hippo tang or wants to chuck. id like to look into that as well. good to know you can get one when needed. i tried to special order one before and couldnt get it!
It's actually at the store as I got the contents of LocoD's tank, lol (thanks again Earl, I owe you as always, lol)
Btw, when I order hippos I usually get in 6-10 at a time. It's just hard for me to order from that particular supplier sometimes because it's a once a month deal and if it comes around and I can't order then I gotta wait for the next month go-around....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
tony a african radiant would be a bad investment either. i do have the yellow coris which (thank goodness) i have not put him to the test yet, but an african radiant is a working fish.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
is he for sale? if so what would you want for him? id entertain trades as well or trade and cash? oh and the special order i was referring to was the radiant wrasse.but id like a hippo tang for my wifes 40th birthday on march 3.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I found them on the Confusa (appear to be the same as the ones that was on the Spongodes) but I also got another type from a fellow reefer. I ordered another product that Eric Borneman claims to kill the egg masses as well, but can be stressful on the corals, we'll see how it works. How much are the Radiants, and the Peps? I need a few Peps as well as I have some aipt that is in my tank now and dunno where it came from... it just popped up one day..

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php

·
Registered
494 Posts
hey chuck will call tomorrow during business hours. quick question for you, how do you feel about harlequin filefish? im really interested in one but after reading up on them they seem really difficult to keep alive due to feeding. i also read that they will eat the polyps of various species of hard corals and im planning on having corals in my tank the only hard coral i have right now is an extremely large elegance coral. i doubt it would eat it considering i would imagine it would get stung. what do u think?
if they aren't as difficult as they seem im interested in getting one, do u ever come across them?
me and my husband are also interested in a bluespotted jawfish. i have a deep tank, its a 54 gal corner tank with A LOT of LR. CPR cy-192 bio filter with skimmer, im running 2x 130 watt compact flor. more polyps and corals are coming soon just have been a bit picky and haven't fallen in love yet.
is this a suitable environment for them? will they disturb or harm any corals?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
BSJF require a deeper sandbed.. they are burrowers :)

I take it you are in the upstate... where you located?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts