The Reef Tank banner

new D & D Marine Ent. Terminator 2

8K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  crob5965 
#1 ·
The new protein skimmer we got, D & D Marine Enterprises the Terminator 2 just got it hooked up and as you can see my husband is very happy to have it. does anyone else have experience with this skimmer?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me say this thing leaks from every orfis.. Do after 2 hrs of leakage I desided to put in the bathroom sink and find all the leaks withusing fresh water.. Another 2 hrs later it's finally not leaking.. So it's now finally installed. I have read the reviews and no one really said it's not a good skimmer it just leaks so it was on sale at my lfs and desided to pick it up and give it a shot.. My CPR wet/dry had a built in skimmer but it was not doing a great job..soooooo. Here we go.. Any impute on this skimmer would be great..

#3 ·
It's been up and running for two hrs now and already a nice amount of slug is starting to come down the drain tube( FYI there is no catch can).. Pretty nice. I deff have a smile on my face..

#4 ·
I do have 2 small drips about 1-2 every hour or so...with tomorrows water change I will try to seal everything again and I'll put a small rubber box underneath it just for precaution.. If anyone has any input it would be great.. Also I'm thinking about taking it apart and re-doing all the piping with hard piping..the PVC they use is not the best almost like plastic..

#8 ·
Well today with all the new plumbing work and skimmer work it is finally complete.. I have to glue in a piece of PVC in my check valve cause I just noticed it looks like it has a small leak didn't think I needed to glue it but I guess I was wrong

#9 ·
Also I tried contacting D&D and no one answered all day. Only one of the many attempts I was able to leave a message..never received a call back.. And the answering machine is an automated voice saying please leave a message after the tone..as for the skimmer it's self is working like a dream(I have nothing to compare it to except for my old CPR unit). The plumbing on the unit is no longer leaking I'm not sure how long that will last but I have everything I need to redo it and hard line it if need be. So after all I think it was a good investment, but I would not recommend this product to anyone.. Now I know why it was on sale from 199$ to 95$.. My next skimmer will be an octopus for sure...I'll post a few pics in a few of it when my camera battery is charged..

#12 ·
Just an update 6 hours and no more leaking....finally thank god..now I'll give it a week for break in and report back on the progress if nothing goes wrong before then...

#15 ·
Ok, so time tells all. Now it's been a while, what's the final opinion? I think most skimmers are just way overpriced for something so simple. I just found on of these new in box for $50. Should be here tomorrow. I have more room in the sump so may do in sump install and minor leaks won't mean a thing

#16 ·
I have 1 it's only been running a couple of weeks and I think it's great, I did have a faulty ball valve that I had to replace but other than that no leaks and it works great. I dont need to adjust it I just leave it alone. I'm using a Maxi-jet 1200 for the secondary pump, but I've read that some people use a mag 2, I guess anything in the range of 240-300GPH is fine, the reason I mention this is I had to do a lot of reading to find someone mentioning what pump they were using.

Like I said it's only been a couple of weeks but I'm very happy, I do not know how it rates with a reef octopus or other high end skimmers but it's a lot better than my Eshopps 150 I was running on my 90 gal.

Bottom line it took 45min to an hour to get up and running and 2-3 attempts to fix all the leaks but after that it was good to go and for $85 ($100 less than my last skimmer) I cant complain I would have been pissed if a $600 skimmer was leaking but for the price I was willing to play around with it.

HOpe this helps anyone thinking of buying a terminator II skimmer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.