The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't order it. A friend of mine made an order and they threw these in for free. His tank only has regular flourescents, so he brought them over to put in my tank to see how they do.

Both looked pretty horrible right out of the box, but one looked better. Already, he's puffed up and looking pretty good. I really hope he stays in the little place I picked out for him (fat chance of that I suppose) it's actually a pretty good spot. Its' a little crevice in a rock just his size, with a power head indrectly blowing on him. and it's up high with lots of light.

The other one however, looked even worse... all turned inside out looking. He seems to have pulled himself together, but hasn't puffed up with water yet. Also, he's in the bowl of a little piece of marshall island. Not as perfect a spot, but not a bad one, and also, indirect powerhead flow up high, so I'm hoping he comes out of his funk.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kelli

When he ordered, he had his choice of several different freebies, and asked me via IM what to get, but I wasn't at my desk. When I got back, he had already picked these two little guys. When I pointed him towards more information about them, he changed his mind, but it was too late. His tank is quite a bit newer than mine, so I'll see how they do. Neither of them is super white, both of them still have a little of the tan color to them, and one of them definitely wasted no time puffing up and looking good. Both have already grasped on to the rock that they're in, but I don't know anemones, so I don't know if that's good or not!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 1: They both stayed put overnight. I'm glad about that. If they sit still, they can't reach much, and have everything they need. If they start moving around, I'm yanking them. Both of them are looking good now. The one that took longer to come around is about 2x the size of the one that looked to be the better one. I've read conflicting reports about clowns hosting in haitian reef anemones. I know clowns don't need them, but if my clown does decide to host in one and I have to take it out, am I going royally p*** him off? He's already an attack fish, don't want to add more fuel to his little orange and white striped fury.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Each clown is different. Mine showed no interest in my haitian. Then the haitian decided to move back near his den and made it home. Suddenly the clown took to it. Feeds it and everything. Good luck they are movers.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stinkin update. Long about Tuesday or so, the big one decided he didn't like his spot any longer. He took "flight". kept trying to find his way into the powerhead. Not wanting any anemoney jelly, I got him out and took him to a LFS where they didn't want to give me credit for it (said it was their store policy that they don't give credit for anything) but they did make me a deal on a little six line wrasse.

The little anemone however has been very good. And just this evening, I looked at him and thought... "i kinda like the little guy. And he's sitting still in his little hole." I turned and was watching TV, 5 minutes later, I look over and the anemone is laying tentacle down on my frogspawn. I immediately jumped and pulled him off hoping to minimize damage. He has little frogspawn pieces stuck to him and the frogspawn looks very unhappy about the whole ordeal.

I got the anemone to sit over on the other side of the tank, but he's gone tomorrow. credit or not!

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Anemones are tough to keep, even Condys like you have. I think your frogspawn can take care of itself, though. :)

Tanks should be fun...when you have something in your tank that potentially causes your stress level to rise, that's no good! :D

·
Retired Wanderer
17,192 Posts
Wow what company would send anenomes as a freebie? That is something pretty much something you need to plan for and get the right fit with the right fish in the right tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts