The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new crab just showed up in our tank from a live rock which is a couple months old. He lives under an oster. He/she has hairy legs and black claws. I have tried to get pictures but he is shy. I believe he is a gorilla crab. Currently he is about an inch in diameter including his legs and claws.

I have read that this guy can be a problem for my inverts and corals. Here is my problem: My daughter has really bonded with him. She feeds him breakfast and dinner in bed!! He will come out and grab flakes or shrimp from her fingers and retreat to his liar under the oyster. Now, the second he sees a hand, he comes out regardless if there is food or not (briefly though).

If she continues to feed this guy, can we keep his bad tank activities in check??

At this stage, he seems awfully shy and is not harming anything in the tank. Will this change over time??

If it is a must to get him out of the tank, how do they do in a smaller tank?? Or is there some sort of crab rescue out there because I can not do away with him without risking my daughter's wrath!!

Other members of the tank include Algae blenny, chromies, Damsels, Oysters, sea urchins, hermit crab, turbo snails, mushroom and polyp corals.

Thanks for any help on this issue!!

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Haha! How cute! I'd be the same as your daughter if I found one in my tank. :p Odds are that he'll start picking at your coral, but since she's keeping him well fed, it might keep him from getting too bad. I know a guy that keeps one in his reef tank without problems (I believe he named him "Mr Fuzzy Bottoms" because he looks like he's wearing fuzzy pants :D), but know that's more the exception than the rule. You could definitely move him to a smaller tank for your daughter though - or if you have an over flow, there a guy here that lets his live in there and work at cleaning http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f205/gorilla-crabs-to-work-223528.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha! How cute! I'd be the same as your daughter if I found one in my tank. :p Odds are that he'll start picking at your coral, but since she's keeping him well fed, it might keep him from getting too bad. I know a guy that keeps one in his reef tank without problems (I believe he named him "Mr Fuzzy Bottoms" because he looks like he's wearing fuzzy pants :D), but know that's more the exception than the rule. You could definitely move him to a smaller tank for your daughter though - or if you have an over flow, there a guy here that lets his live in there and work at cleaning http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f205/gorilla-crabs-to-work-223528.html
Yes, it is very cute and I do kind of like the guy. It is pretty cool to watch him come out, grab the food and then go back to his hidey hole. I think for now I will see how this plays out. I would assume he will not wipe out my corals in one night so that I have some time to see what happens?? Also, how would he even get close to the polyp coral since they suck into the tube pretty darn quickly if you touch them??

·
Registered
687 Posts
Does it have sharp pointy claws or cupped like this:

This is a mithrax crab crab. The cupped tips indicate it likes to eat algae, but these crabs are omnivorous and will eat pretty much anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts