The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added candy cane, frogspawn and tube coral to my tank....

Does anyone have experience with the tube coral? All I have read says moderate current and low light - I am planning to feed cyclops - do I need to spoon feed it? My livestock currently includes 17 corals and 3 fish.

I have the candy cane on the bottom, is that okay for 72W of PC light?

How much room do I need to give the frogspwan?

Always Symbiotic.....

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
I'd give the Frogspawn 6" around they can extend pretty long sweepers.

By tube coral is it a suncoral Tubastrea sp ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it is, its in the upper left side of the tank in the picture, but I have since moved it to the lower right - it has about 6-7 polyps on it around the one big center one. All my other corals (yellows and palys) enjoyed the cyclps feeding last night anyway. I am syringing around the tube coral though and actually waiting for the polyps to show again after being moved from the LFS.

:)

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Some people use a glass or a small bowl upside down over top of the coral and then feed the cyclopeeze under the glass. That way it stays around the coral much longer and gives it time to react and eat what you are offering before the flow blows it all away.

Your tank is looking very good and I wish you continued success with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Aqua - would that be like pheasant under glass? sorry, couldn't resist

Mysis? are they bigger than brine and cyclops - and I thought candy cane were photosynthetic types? Would that be like stuffing it down their throat (both canes and tubes) (akin to giving a dog a pill?)

Thanks for the responses!

Always Symbiotic...

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Mysis have more nutritional value than brine but about the same size...candy cane corals are photosynthetic, but will often do better with an occasional feeding...they will put out sweepers at night when they want to eat...just use a turkey baster to gently "drop" food onto each head. Here is a pic of mine in full feed mode:

BTW...I don't feed mine anymore...I have a fuge teeming with pods and other small goodies, so they get plenty of "free" food.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts