The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some new corals... An alveopora and a pagoda cup... I had no idea the pagoda cup would slime and shed like it does! Ick ick ick... Is it doing that just because it's new and is mad because I moved it? I hope it stops that or it goes back to the store... I also got (I'm so excited) some blue xenia... They shriveled up by the time I got them home so I hope they puff up and look happy when the lights come on... Will take pix tomorrow when things calm down...

I also got 2 clams (a blue one and a gold one)... And seahorses (had them before in the nano but they got sucked into the filter - don't ask, I cried for days over that the poor things... And more LR, am tickled because I discovered I've got 2 live clams on the rock (I think they are clams, they are so covered w/ stuff it's hard to tell)... I had a 3rd but didn't realize it was a clam, I pulled it off thinking it was a loose bit of rock and it's foot is still on the rock, I feel guilty the poor thing... They are filter feeders right? I need to make sure I have some really tiny stuff floating in the water for them, right?

I've decided I don't like hard corals, they are a pain to care for in reference to water flow having to be fast...

I tried gluing some corals to the rock with gel super glue... It doesn't stick well... Maybe I'm not using enough? How big of a glob do you use? Can you glue a clam to the rock so it stays where you want? I want one to be on a sloping rock but I'm afraid to glue it for fear I'll hurt it... I know not to glue its foot...

I wanted to get an anemone but the fish store employee talked me out of it (there was a really neat orange one there) stating they wander the tank and ruin corals... I thought about how much money I've spent on corals and decided to skip the anemone...

Oh, and darn, I pulled a piece of rock out of the tank and didn't see my peppermint shrimp on it - the shrimp jumped and I stepped on it (oh my, a horrid sound that was!) - at least it died quick because I'm no lightweight... So now I need more shrimp (I like how they sway back and forth)...

I have an overflow box on the way so I can get my sump going and put my heater and protein skimmer under the tank and out of sight... I've ordered some hydor koralia pumps (is the #3 too much for a 55gal tank?) and can't wait to put them in... Are they good with being switched on and off every 15 minutes?

Oh, and I've had to empty my skimmer cup several times this week... The sucker is FINALLY working! It's going nuts now but I think it's due to the pagoda cups sllime....

Babs

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Congrats. You don't need to glue the clam. Whiskey taught me a neat trick that worked great. take the rock you want to use and place it in the sand put the clam where you want it and put sand around it to stabilize it. Give it a week or so and then move the whole clam and rock to where you want. Mine slopes beautifully and I didn't even plan it that way! I'll get some pics later but lights are out. Not all clams are rock boring tho, I know crocea's are cause I have one. Check Whiskeys faq in clam forum it tells which are rock boring and the ones that like sand. How many Koralia's? I will be good, two might give you a sand storm, tho I have seen some tank really wooshed around with no bad happenings. Not sure if they can go on and off, check with the maker, some pumps can't handle that. Sorry about the shrimp and it takes a while for skimmers to break in, but once they do, well it's a smell you'll never mistake for anything else!

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Unless you want a tank FULL of Xenia Isolate it! I got a frag from a local reefer and thought I would put it on the rock work and let it spread a while before I knew it, it had attached to about 6 other rocks! I ripped it from the other rocks and isolated it and now I have it growing ALL OVER!!!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have never had that problem. When I frag I cut to the rock and it never grows back. Sometimes I leave stalk on purpose so it does grow back. That stuff is like money in the bank! Just keep it trimmed back and if it does spread where you don't want, frag it and put some kalk on what is left to burn it out. Stop it before it becomes a nuisance and I think you will buy lots of corals from xenia cash!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info y'all...

As to the Xenia, I love the stuff, I want to have a swaying sea of Xenia (in different colors)... Esp the blue one, they are so so blue...

I'll reread the clam info, I thought they all stuck to the rock... And the rock I want mine on is on the bottom of a pile of other rocks so I can't pull it out to put the clam on but I can pile sand around it to stabilized it...

How much super glue do you use to glue a frag on? A huge glob?

Specifically, which koralia pump size should I have gotten? I ordered 2 #2's (I said #3's above, it's #2's).... They talk about gph but not what is good for a specific size tank... Come to think of it, maybe I should have gone with #1's instead... The one pump I have in the tank now (mag drive) is 350gph and it's pretty strong - shoot...

Babs

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
IMO GPH depends on what you are keeping. Most ppl say for SPS the more the merrier(40x or better) In my LPS/Softie tank I have about 25x all my corals have a "gentle sway" and all seem to be happy! There all growing and have great extension.

What are your tank specs?(55g right?) the #2 are only 600GPH if there alternating you only count them as one. What is the size (gph) of your return pump? What are you keeping?

Personally in my 75g I have a 700GPH reutrn, a 700GPH Powerhead and a 330GPH HOB with carbon. 1730total GPH in 75g=23x turnover. I have no SPS except for Monti all are happy.

When I glue frags I create a puddle of glue and put the frag in it and have my wife drip some water on the glue that makes it set up real fast.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are your tank specs?(55g right?) the #2 are only 600GPH if there alternating you only count them as one. What is the size (gph) of your return pump? What are you keeping?

Personally in my 75g I have a 700GPH reutrn, a 700GPH Powerhead and a 330GPH HOB with carbon. 1730total GPH in 75g=23x turnover. I have no SPS except for Monti all are happy.
Yes, a 55gal... Maybe I underdid it...

When I glue frags I create a puddle of glue and put the frag in it and have my wife drip some water on the glue that makes it set up real fast.
I'm trying to glue a large (several inch) coral (a scolymia) to the rock so it won't tumble down... It doesn't seem happy at the bottom of the tank but it doesn't like the top either so I'm struggling to find a place for it in the middle amongst sloping rocks... I want to make sure it's secure...

Babs

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Not to change the subject but those look like Aiptasia. If they are they WILL harm your corals. Cant really tell they may be polyps but look like aiptasia to me.

As far as gluing I have been told that plumbers putty works well for the large corals. Just mead a glob and press it on the base of the coral and press the coral where you want it. The putty will gete hard as a rock after a while. Again I have never tried it if super glue won't harm the tank I woundm't think putty would either. Anyone ever use it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Those are definately Aiptasia! Hit them with Boiling water in a syringe directly in the mouth or with Joes Juice. Either way, Get them out before they kill your valuble corals!

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Joes Juice works GREAT for me Make sure you mix it up real good. you don't have to inject them just get close and they disenagrate!

By the looks of it they are REALLY infested! It may take a LONG time to get rid of all of them. They reproduce SOOO quick and there are probally 10x more that you cant see hiding in the rock work.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
yep need aquamend (home depot). Superglue won't hold it. I got something from the lfs but it was more expensive. I just hate going to home depot or lowes. Cant seem to ever find what I want and the sales people are no help.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, those are aptipista or however you spell it... I thought they were cute at first... Then I found out what they were... I had gotten 2 peppermint shrimps and they were doing a fine job, then my kids somehow turned off the powerstrip to the water pumps and one shrimp died bluer than blue, the other one I stepped on (see posting way above) so I need to get more shrimp...

OK, I'll check out the Aquamend...

Here's some pix of my corals... I got more than 2 BTW...

Babs

I don't know what this one is, the lady forgot to put the sticker with it's name on the bag... They are neat, when you feed them the coral petal or whatever you call it closes up like a tulip...

New rock and new corals... I really like the bright green one (again, no sticker on the bag):

The Pagoda Cup coral in on the left... It finally stopped sliming:

Some seaweed stuff on the rocks and I think sponges:

The clam who won't stay still enough to snag the rock:

The other clam:

My first coral casualty, the seahorses hang on it now:

I had a pix of this in my earlier new coral thread, someone said it looked ticked and recommended I move it into the shade which I did... Does it look better now?

More pix coming, am only allowed to post 10 in each post...

Thanks,
Babs

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I emptied the skimmer cup last night about 12 hours ago, this is what it looks like this morning...

Another leather, he's taking his time opening up...

Having a terrible time getting decent pix of the blue Xenia... Here's some small images:

And another Xenia someone had fragged to a snail shell...

My tank is getting nicer... I can't wait for the new pumps and my overflow box to arrive so I can finish it up...

I also was looking at Maidens Hair which looks so pretty... Is that a good plant to buy for a tank?

Thanks,
Babs

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a piece of blue xenia moving in and out of a hole, I wonder if I have a decorater crab or something - the xenia looks like they are sitting on something that is moving...
:)

Babs

·
Fyr Fishy
517 Posts
I've ordered some hydor koralia pumps (is the #3 too much for a 55gal tank?) and can't wait to put them in... Are they good with being switched on and off every 15 minutes?

Babs
As the Koralia's are directional pumps they do not like to be switched on and off often. I have two of the 4's and I have them run for 16 hours each (they overlap for 12, one runs solo for 4, overlap for another 12, the other one runs solo for 4) which does not seem to be a problem. From time to time they clack when they come on. If they start spinning the wrong direction at first, the impeller jumps around in its socket until it starts spinning the right way. I wouldn't want to have to chance listening to that every 15 minutes. You can use a cycling controller like the Seio with them. It speeds them up and slows them down but never actually turns them off. Koralia is supposed to be coming out with a controller of their own eventually.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As the Koralia's are directional pumps they do not like to be switched on and off often. <SNIP> You can use a cycling controller like the Seio with them. It speeds them up and slows them down but never actually turns them off. Koralia is supposed to be coming out with a controller of their own eventually.
I looked up a Seio controller and one site states that it can only be used with Seio pumps... Is that true?

How long have you had your pumps working on the timed system you have?

Thanks for the info!

Babs

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I think the second clam is a squamosa maybe. I would just put him in the sand cause I don't think it is a rock borer and it's gonna get big. I could be wrong tho, I'm still learning. Just the big scoots(ridges on the shell) make me think squamoso. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I plan to get a squamosa next, They are awesome! A 1 foot clam will be oh so gorgeous in my big tank! I want to go mostly sps and clams in that tank.
here's my guy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, will move him down into the sand... The other clam (the blue one) has started to attach to the rock so he must be in a place he likes...

Babs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts