The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a hectic week and a half for me. I have completly set up a tank, and started stocking it with corals. Bought all new equipment and everything. As of now I have..

3 headed red green candy Cane
4 headed green hammer
2 headed green torch
3 headed frogspawn
small colony of ..i forgot the name I will post a pic of it.. doug gave it to me, its a beauty though
brown monti cap
3 mystery Acros.

I decided to take the trip down to Cap bay, I havent been down there in like a month so seeing that it is my bday I just had to do it. After looking for about I would say an hour I decided to just go with these, Im happy with them, the prices were great, but there are some parts that are bleached. Other than that, and the fact that there big i like em.

The guy didnt know what they are, name or anything so If you know what they are let me know. The one in the middle, it has that bottom part that is blue rimmed with green polyps, is that a different coral?

How do you frag acros? Bone cutters? Will it hurt the actual coral any? These guys are huge, so as soon as they start showing there colors well im going to be fragging them down. I want everything to start out small.

Attachments

·
Registered
874 Posts
lookin good man, If you do frag out I'll scoop up whats in pic 2, just let me know price. Yes just frag them with bone cutters or some are fragile enough that you can just snap it, as far as hurting the coral, it'll be ok, might be mad at you for a day, but it'll get over it :)

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
I'll take a stab at ID of your SPS frags...if I'm wrong about any of them, feel free to correct me anyone:)

1. A. Tenius
2. A. Granulosa (It'll be a slow grower, IME)
3. Porities
4. Pocillopora (excellent starter SPS :D)

If you get any more SPS frags, consider some A. Millepora. They are very colorful, have interesting growth patterns and hairy polyps, are very fast growing, and are about as hardy as acros get, IME.

For fragging, I use a pair of scissor type nail clippers; you can get them at Wallyworld for between $12-$16 a pair. Really you can just break colonies apart to frag them, but I find that using nail clippers gives a cleaner cut for gluing, and is less stressful for individual polyps.

Great pick ups in all; you can't go wrong with CBA. Let us know how it goes :D

- Michael

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
Hey, when your ready to frag, I'd sure be interested in getting a head of frogspawn, torch, and the first and last acro in your pictures...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Pocillopora is a weird coral really. It looks great under 14K, but brown under 10k lighting....It grows really fast for an sps, mine is the size of a softball now. It will also start showing up in other places in your tank, or at least mine does. I have golf ball size bunch that is groing on my overflow. It just showed up there one day.....

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
Clay, care to frag??? I would love to have some...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts