The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok after sorting out some unhappy softie issues after a tank swap i think i am almost ready to add more so i was wondering is anyone had insight as to if my tank setup is suited to the corals i am interested in.
So here we go

Tank Specs
55g w/ 10g sump wet dry
2 protien skimmers both in sump one for a 30g works well and a diy one that moves 160gph also working well
550gph return
eheim canister filter for up to 66g (was on my old tank and i figured what the hell)
coralife retrofit kit w/ two 150w 10k mh, two 96w atinic pc and 4 moon leds whole hood with three fans on timers to cool but fans not directly on mh
one 200gph powerhead that oscilates figured with the return and canister its ok but a 1300 gph upgrade on the way

45- 50 lbs of LR some with clams attached
50 lbs of LS well now it is 6 months ago it wasn't but now it has to be

inhabitants

CUC- 3 turbos bout 15 - 20 blue legs and a barrage of margarita, cerith, astrea, stomatella totalling about 15 - 20 and louie my hitch hiking slug
1 true percula
1 lawnmower blenny
1 mandarin
1 yellow watchman goby
1 sand sifting star
1 goniopora
4 small colonies of zoos
1 kenya tree
some mushrooms
1 colony green star polyps
1 colony green clove polyps
some button polyps
xenia

parameters

Salinity 1.026
temp steady 78
ph 8.2
amm 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 0- 10 explain in a sec
phosphates 0 is waht its is reading but i see gha in there so i'm slowly killing it hence why my nitrates slide up and down
calc 450
mag 1290
alk 10 dkh

ok now the corals in question are
alvepora
green torch
ricordia
pipe organ

any advice before i purchase the pretty little fellows is appreciated

·
Registered
406 Posts
How long have you had your goniopora? I have never had one because I heard they were extremely difficult. I have also heard that alveopora is not much easier. I do know that some softies such as leathers produce toxins. As far as pipe organs they will grow fast. They like a bit of nutrients in the water like xenia. How long has your tank been cycled?

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
goniopora is about 6 months, as for cycled the 30g that everything came from was cycled for about 7 months as for the 55g w/ 10g sump its been up and runnin for month and a half almost two. and do you have an idea if my lighting is ok for all mentioned

·
Registered
406 Posts
lighting sounds good but I would step up the k a bit. I believe 14 , 15 is prefered for corals. I don't know if it's because the 10's are more yellow and the corals need more blue or maybe it's just a matter of individual taste. I was always told the more k the better. I like my 20 k with additional atinics. You kept the goniopora alive this long, looks like you you have a handle on things, maybe some others will chime in and let us know what the k specs should be.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i actually had everything thriving in my 30g with 2 65w pc thet were 10 k so for now i am pretty content but i did plan on bumpin up to 14 k when i need new bulbs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts