The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After talking to several folks about meetings, what makes them work, what makes them exciting, and what people generally want to show up for, I have determined that one thing that everyone enjoys is FREE STUFF. I am as we speak contacting every possible vendor, dealer, and supplier of everything and anything related to saltwater aquariums, in hopes of forming some partnerships with business, both local, and out of the area, that will supply us with knowledge, equipment, and services.

So, what do I need your input on you might be asking?

I am trying to figure out the best way to get the largest number of people a chance to get some of this future bounty, in as fair and fun a way possible. I have come up with 2 concepts that i think will work with some tinkering, and this is where your input will help. Currently i am thinking of using both methods simultaneously, but popular opinion will prevail, since this isn't my club, it is our club.

OPTION 1: your standard run of the mill raffle. each meeting, fabulous prizes will be available, hopefully there will be enough in the old closet that it can be topic specific (if we have one). everyone who shows up will get a ticket to throw into the hat. at the end of the meeting, or whenever we decide the drawing should fall, each item will have a ticket drawn for it, and the owner of the ticket will claim said prize. should the prize be something usefull to another member, but not necessarily the person drawing it, the item would be at the discression of the winner to either resubmit for a future meeting, or they could trade it, or give it to whomever they like. As an incentive to host a meeting, i would like the meeting host to have 2 tickets instead of one, to increase their odds of getting a prize that month.

OPTION 2: prizes will be held for a specific meeting, such as the "Summer Shindig" (more on that later) and members will have the opportunity throughout the year to earn tokens/tickets with which to bid at an auction. ideas for token earning include, but are by no means limited to:

hosting a meeting

attending a meeting

supplying snacks/drinks

driving in a carpool to the meeting (my personal favorite)

donating items for the auction

securing items from a vendor for the auction

preparing and delivering a short talk on a topic at the meeting

supplying a service to members (like testing peoples water for copper)

and generally anything that the group as a whole thinks makes you so cool and helpful that you deserve a little something for your effort.

NOTE: I or someone else will keep track of your tokens for you, you dont need to carry them around or try not to lose them, if that is a concern. at the time of the big auction, tokens will be distributed :)

In a perfect setup, if i am able to get several generous donations, i would like to offer a few small things at each meeting, and implement the token system for the largest donations at the big get together.

NOW, please give me any feedback or comments you may have. Additionally if you have any ideas for places to contact for possible donations please email me, or call me, or pm me, i have a huge list already, but i am certain there are places i am forgetting.

Thanks for your time, and your input. I am willing to do a lot of work to make this an enjoyable portion of the meetings, but i need to know what you consider fun!

Oh, while i have your attention, if you are new, or for some reason are not getting the meeting evites, please take a second to pm me now with your real name (first only is fine) and your email address that you check most often. i will make sure that fred gets all the info.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i think that is a really good idea, the only problem would be getting vendors to donate stuff, or maybe people can even donate used stuff that they dont want anymore. i for one am up for it, what does everyone else think?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'd suggest start with something simple - the meeting raffle idea. Then see where it takes us. If we get something really juicy - that might inspire people to expend some long term effort to get it.

I'd just point out that if you're the guy bringing the 'freebie' - then the group will be inspired to somehow find you a way to the meeting (Mostly in the form of the person that wants the 'freebie'.) Getting home might be a little dicey though. . . :funny:

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ptm: alice had some pretty good luck with getting complanies to donate stuff. in the past, she also had a couple representatives from some companies come and talk to the group, like the pfo person for example. just trying to get some of that going again. with lke 100 places to ask for support, even if i only get 10% to respond, thats still better than the donation rate we got going now :p

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have just had confirmation of our first donation to the club. I am not going to spoil the suprise, but assuming all the details are worked out in the next few weeks, someone will walk away from the december meeting with a VERY generous door prize. Keep up with the feedback, I would like to hear everyones' opinions please!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the idea of the raffle. Maybe that will be enough to encourage me to finally make it to a meeting! :)

Another suggestion - I don't know what all is in the Portland/Vancouver area - but I like the idea of group day-trips to somewhere that might further our knowledge of reefkeeping.

I also liked the idea of guest speakers from the different companies - so long as they know what they are talking about! :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Krux,

These are all VERY good ideas! I was wondering how much money the club has. I know there were a couple raffles and some donations already. I don't know what the clubs expenditures were however so, I don't know how much money was left. Any ideas?

Dennis

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we don't collect dues, so as such there isn't really a club fund. all of the events and prizes thus far have come from wither the host of the meeting, donations from within the group, or outside donations. so to answer your question, $0.00 :)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Dennis,

The last of the products I received as donations were given out as door prizes. I think the last thing was a wet/dry filter, if I remember right. I can't remember how much money we had collected via club raffles, but I want to say it was something in the neighborhood of $100 total over that first year; we didn't hold any raffles where members had to pay for a tickets last year. Most of the money collected was spent on soda for meetings and picnic expenses. I spent the last of the money on name tags and copying expenses for coral ID worksheets over a year ago.

I didn't keep a ledger on those expenses; I just kept the money in an envelope in that big plastic raffle jar which Woody gave us. I gave him back the roll of tickets, too, Ryan. I'm not sure if those were his or if they belonged to the old GPSAS marine study group so you might want to ask him if the club can have them.

Alice

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still have the blue raffle tickets that you gave to me for the last meeting where we did door prizes, so i am set for a while, though it would be great if i have to get more, as that means lots of folks are showing up to get in on the meetings!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ya....I remember doing the one raffle and making a few bucks but...nothing large. Couldnt have lasted too long. I think the raffle Idea is AWSOME!!! Great way to raise money!

Dennis

PS: Alice! How is the great white north????? Sounds like a ROCKIN' club up there!!!!!

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I think Ryan's coming up with some great ideas for PNWMAS :)

Dennis, come up for a meeting sometime! We've got Calfo and Delbeek on tap in 2004 as well as a DIY meeting. This is a big club up here and just when I thought I could relax and be a bystander I got drafted to be the events coordinator, LOL.

·
Registered
389 Posts
hi Alice, nice Avatar! i'm heading that way for Thanksgiving, going to stop at mojo's and finally get to see his tank set-up.
hope things are going good for you and yours. happy holidays
aaron

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Aaron!

Very good to hear from you :) Shoot me a PM or email and let me know when you'll be out at Mike's; maybe I can run over and say "Howdy!"

Alice

·
Beanieboy
432 Posts
I was on the same track Ryan, right after Alice left. I got a bunch of "no's" right in a row, so did not go any further, glad you are having more luck

·
Registered
236 Posts
okay i have no idea if anyone mentioned this, but if you might want to count carpooling as a way to earn tokens or tickets, and this is at all based on environmental protection or parking or something like that, you may also wish to give tokens to those people that use the bus to get out to these meetings

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yep that was in my original idea, but as i haven't gotten anything as a donation yet that is exciting enough to save up for, i will just be raffling off everything this month, and work on the long term token/auction thing next year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.