The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Justin (Reefer Dude) and Jason (jknut) have offered to take over with club leadership. Justin has major experience with running and growing a club from when he lived in California. His club ended up with 250+ members. He has some great ideas...as does Jason. I have promised to help out where I can.

I know that stuff has fallen through the cracks lately, and I do apologize. Between work and family demands, I just haven't had a lot of time for anything else.

Unless anyone has an issue with Justin and Jason taking over club leadership (please feel free to PM if you do) - I say we welcome them with open arms!

:blob: :dance: :beer: :dance: :blob:

Jodi

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
HOLLY coup d'etat Bat Man!
Well Done.

Just give me two weeks to sell off all my extra stuff ;).

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
I am thrilled that we have new leadership, I still do not have my membership card! :lol:

So, what's the next step? I know personally I have a wife, job, baby, house, school ...etc competing for my attention. It is hard enough to even remember to scrape my tank glass.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Well the next steps are goign to be as follows:

1. I am going to get on top of who the current members are or who wants to be involved.

2. Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting!!!

3. Meeting structure, instead of just going to each others houses to see tanks (which is important) we are going to have meeting topics and use our club as a learning oppurtunity.

4. We will see where we are at and see if we have the ability to get enough members to do more club functions out in the public and other things like guest speakers. All I know if I have met several reefers as of late in Southern MN that have no idea about the club, so we need to figure out how to reach reefers and salt wateer enthusiasts outside of just Rochester.

Look for several posts from me over the next week spelling things out and asking for feedback.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I still have my membership card (eat your heart out, Michael! :p ) but doubt I'll be very active in the club (something to do with a 4500 mile commute!) However, if any club members visit Maui, I'd be more than happy to visit with you and show you some of the best snorkel spots or, if you dive, take you diving (you provide your own gear, of course!)

My original idea in founding the club was to have the "host" give a little talk on their tank, explain their theories and rationale for why things are as they are in their tank, etc.

I also feel it's important to look at goals (I believe we came up with a "Mission Statement", didn't we Jodi? I may have a copy hiding out on disk somewhere but I don't have the computer I had back then.) While some people feel a "Mission Statement" is "red tape", I feel it's important as a reminder of why we're all in this!

BTW, the club's 5th anniversary is coming up next month. Anyone wanna guess the date? Yup, 9/11/01 was the first meeting of RMAC!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'll just put a little bit of some things I'd like to see happen with the club.

Monthly discussion or articles. I know Ben has said he's been doing research but no one has been asking questions...well post it! I'm sure it would start some great discussion.

I would also love to see a tank/invert/fish of the month, I know many of us may have experience keeping certain fish/inverts that they could give a write-up on...it would definitely give the new saltwater keepers some brief info that I'm sure would be much appreciated. Otherwise the development of Justin's Reeferspedia website, it is a great tool that we could all colaborate on and put to great use.

I'd love to be able to conduct some sort of swap/fragging workship a couple times per year, but like Justin said we'll need to get more involvement SE MN reefers to make sure it'd be worthwhile.

Those are just some of the few ideas I know I've had. Most will definitely need discussion with the club. I plan to keep this a democratic club, and some guidelines will definitely help.

Don't worry, I don't plan on eliminating FS posts, we just need a better format to go about it. :)

Feel free to post any input, or help take a role. I know a lot of our members have tons of experience and knowledge to share.

Cheers!:beer:

-Jason

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Team up with the TC club for reef talks and swaps...they are doing them now, so why reinvent the wheel.
they are just 60 miles up the road, and would love to have more people getting into and helping out with the big events.
we could host a swap down here, I think TC members would come.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yeah hoo, also dues?

I am so in! Please let me know when things are scheduled. I am happy to show you pix from my multiple dives I have done. I unfortunately have a crappy schedule due to work so I hope I make it to some of the things/get togethers.
Are we having a membership fee/dues or anything?

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Tara,

Where we can, I have no problem scheduling thing around your schedule the best we can, until we start to get bigger! I am not a doctor, but I also have a crazy schedule as an IT consultant.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Would it be possible to post the club leaders as a "sticky" note with contact info?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts