The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a pair of false perculas for my 29G mixed reef.
Tank has not had any fish, I returned two damsels two months ago.
They have been sitting in the tank for 10 minutes now, They came from PC or t5 lighting I believe. I have the MH's off that would normally be on during this time. Would it be best to keep my lights off tonight and start them as regularly tomorrow? What do you think?

Also on acclimating. I plan to add a cup or so of the tanks water every 15 minutes for an hour and then scoop the fish out with a net and dump the remaining water down the sink drain. Any better way of doing this? thanks I'll post pics when i'm finished.

· Registered
717 Posts
Tank has not had fish since I returned two damsels two months ago.
They have been sitting in the tank for 10 minutes now, They came from PC or t5 lighting I believe. I have the MH's off that would normally be on during this time. Would it be best to keep my lights off tonight and start them as regularly tomorrow? What do you think?

Also on acclimating. I plan to add a cup or so of water every 15 minutes and then scoop the fish out with a net and dump the remaining water down the sink drain. Any better way of doing this? thanks I'll post pics when i'm finished.
That process to me sounds right on!...I even had a LFS guy tell me one time do not trust anyones water not even ours which surprised me.....I still acclimate the old fashioned way with a bucket and about a 2 hour drip from my tank...I then net the fish and put them in the tank....I like your idea with the light...let them over night with no light and let the light come on tommorow....I never seen fish react too badly with different lighting....cant say the same for corals though....GooD LucK!

· uber-stupid
5,091 Posts
No real need to acclimate to the light. Clowns don't get spooked much. If it were a fire fish or jawfish I would be sure to leave a lid on but the clowns won't care either way.

· I've got the REEF rash!
64,175 Posts
Tank has not had any fish, I returned two damsels two months ago.
It had two fish but you say it didn't have any fish??????? Would it be best to keep my lights off tonight and start them as regularly tomorrow?YES What do you think?I said yes keep them off tonight then raise them or put layers of screening and take one off each day .

Also on acclimating. I plan to add a cup or so of the tanks water every 15 minutes for an hour and then scoop the fish out with a net and dump the remaining water down the sink drain. Any better way of doing this?Yes,drip it. thanks I'll post pics when i'm finished.

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
The best thing to do would be to quarantine them. I'm not going to bash you for not quarantining them, because I don't usually quarantine clowns either. I don't do anything with clowns but float them to stabilize temp. Then I reach in the bag with my hand, I never use nets on clowns, and place them in the tank. This may not be the best way to do things, but I just want them out of the bag and in the tank as soon as possible. I don't like the way they stress out while they are in bags. Once they get into the tank they can find a nice safe place to relax. I guess it's a judgement call. For me, I don't think that a change in PH or salinity will be as dangerous as the stress of sitting for an hour or two in a small bag or bowl. That's just me though.

· uber-stupid
5,091 Posts
3 feet aint much but if you just tie a knot in it and start the flow then tighten the knot to get a drip or two per second. Use the magfloat to hold it up there. You might get it.

Next time your out get a hard J tube, 10 feet of air line and a air valve. Cost about 3 bucks.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
I am a big supporter of quarantining. I think makes the whole acclimation process easier.

I would continue with the adding some water every 15 minutes. Don't forget to remove some every now and then and pour it down the drain.

I like to test the LFS water especially SG. That will give you an idea on how long you need to take during acclimation. We have a LFS that keeps their tanks at 1.017. I normally adjust my q/t to the SG of whatever fish store I bought from.

Best of luck with the new clowns!!!!

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
grabbed them with my hand and dropped em in! They have started exploring together. =] it's neat having fish again! What the heck was I thinking.
I've never lost a clown doing that. They probably seem more relaxed than they did in the bag.

I don't think that I could handle a QT. It would quickly turn into another reef. Thanks for all the advice.
:lol: Ben there done that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.